Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Curry
My Curry
First, you should make the curry powder.

1 Heaping tablespoon of black peppercorns
1 Heaping tablespoon of cumin seeds
2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
1 teaspoon of ground ginger

Roast the cumin, coriander and fennel in a frying-pan. When the seeds start to turn brown, they are done.
Grind the ingredients together in a mortar. You may want to grind the whole seeds first, and then add the stuff that's already ground.
On a couple occasions when I have not had a mortar at hand, I've used an electrical coffee grinder, and once also a pepper grinder.
Bear in mind that this is my version of curry powder. Every cook will eventually develop his own, if he or she likes Indian style cooking. It's all about messing around with the proportions, and which spices to include.
For example, I have excluded fenugreek, which some like to put in curry powder. I dislike the bitter taste it produces in a dish. Some like it; some don't.

Now that the curry powder is done, it is time to make the chicken curry.

INGREDIENTS:

1 whole fresh chicken
1 kilo of tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, pasted
Approx. 4 cm. of fresh ginger, pasted
1 and a half tablespoons of curry powder
Mild chili powder
Salt to taste
Yoghurt or coconut milk
Oil, butter or ghee for frying

A few hours before starting the cooking, split the chicken in half and remove it's skin. Rub the chicken in salt and mild chili powder. Then, cover it in yoghurt and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge.

When the chicken has marinated for a few hours, take it out of the bag and break it down. When it comes to the breast part, I usually remove the spine but keep the meat on the bone. I cut it into three pieces.
Rub the yoghurt away and fry the chicken pieces until slightly brown. Place aside.

Take a cooking vessel, I would suggest a cast iron one. Fry the chopped onion on medium heat until slightly brown in oil, butter or ghee.
I would suggest ghee, but you can also use clarified butter. It is basically the same thing. If you don't have any of those, some kind of oil will work well too.
Throw in the chopped tomatoes. Some like to remove the skins from the tomatoes before, but I personally do not mind the skins in there.
Add a couple of pinches of salt, and the garlic and ginger.
I use a blitzer for the garlic and ginger. You can also use a box cutter. There is also a garlic and ginger paste that you can buy, but that is not readily available here in the far north.
Now, add the curry powder. Turn the heat down to low and let it all cook down, using a few stirs.
When the onions and tomatoes have united into a sauce, throw in a tablespoon of yoghurt or half a 'cup' of coconut-milk.
Put the fried chicken pieces in there. Let it stew on low heat for about ten minutes under a lid.
Before serving, taste and make shure the salt balance is right.

This is usually served with basmati rice and/or naan bread. I don't eat rice or bread, so I eat it with cauliflower that has been boiling with the stew for a couple of minutes.

RE: My Curry
Shouldn't there be curry leaves in your curry powder??
Curry leaves just happen to taste like curry silly Tongue
(April 29, 2014 at 5:59 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Shouldn't there be curry leaves in your curry powder??
Some people like to put fresh curry leaves in at the last stage of cooking the dish...
Fresh curry leaves are hard to get in Sweden.
But yeah... I suppose you could put dried curry leaves in there, if you wanted to.

I buy curry powder ready made, I'm only assuming it should have curry leaves.
(April 29, 2014 at 6:44 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: I buy curry powder ready made, I'm only assuming it should have curry leaves.
It probably has!
In a pinch, I've used ready made curry powder combined with garam masala.
I just make my own because I enjoy the taste of freshly toasted spice so much.

Sven!
Start a recipie thread!
Begging please?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 29, 2014 at 7:08 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Sven!
Start a recipie thread!
Begging please?
Good idea!

(April 29, 2014 at 7:12 am)sven Wrote:
(April 29, 2014 at 7:08 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Sven!
Start a recipie thread!
Begging please?
Good idea!

So why has it taken you so long?

We already have a 'Crafty Corner' how about a 'Sven's kitchen Corner'?

By the way.... I love your recipes Heart.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(April 29, 2014 at 5:57 am)sven Wrote: First, you should make the curry powder.

1 Heaping tablespoon of black peppercorns
1 Heaping tablespoon of cumin seeds
2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
1 teaspoon of ground turmeric
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
1 teaspoon of ground ginger

Roast the cumin, coriander and fennel in a frying-pan. When the seeds start to turn brown, they are done.
Grind the ingredients together in a mortar. You may want to grind the whole seeds first, and then add the stuff that's already ground.
On a couple occasions when I have not had a mortar at hand, I've used an electrical coffee grinder, and once also a pepper grinder.
Bear in mind that this is my version of curry powder. Every cook will eventually develop his own, if he or she likes Indian style cooking. It's all about messing around with the proportions, and which spices to include.
For example, I have excluded fenugreek, which some like to put in curry powder. I dislike the bitter taste it produces in a dish. Some like it; some don't.

Now that the curry powder is done, it is time to make the chicken curry.

INGREDIENTS:

1 whole fresh chicken
1 kilo of tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, pasted
Approx. 4 cm. of fresh ginger, pasted
1 and a half tablespoons of curry powder
Mild chili powder
Salt to taste
Yoghurt or coconut milk
Oil, butter or ghee for frying

A few hours before starting the cooking, split the chicken in half and remove it's skin. Rub the chicken in salt and mild chili powder. Then, cover it in yoghurt and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge.

When the chicken has marinated for a few hours, take it out of the bag and break it down. When it comes to the breast part, I usually remove the spine but keep the meat on the bone. I cut it into three pieces.
Rub the yoghurt away and fry the chicken pieces until slightly brown. Place aside.

Take a cooking vessel, I would suggest a cast iron one. Fry the chopped onion on medium heat until slightly brown in oil, butter or ghee.
I would suggest ghee, but you can also use clarified butter. It is basically the same thing. If you don't have any of those, some kind of oil will work well too.
Throw in the chopped tomatoes. Some like to remove the skins from the tomatoes before, but I personally do not mind the skins in there.
Add a couple of pinches of salt, and the garlic and ginger.
I use a blitzer for the garlic and ginger. You can also use a box cutter. There is also a garlic and ginger paste that you can buy, but that is not readily available here in the far north.
Now, add the curry powder. Turn the heat down to low and let it all cook down, using a few stirs.
When the onions and tomatoes have united into a sauce, throw in a tablespoon of yoghurt or half a 'cup' of coconut-milk.
Put the fried chicken pieces in there. Let it stew on low heat for about ten minutes under a lid.
Before serving, taste and make shure the salt balance is right.

This is usually served with basmati rice and/or naan bread. I don't eat rice or bread, so I eat it with cauliflower that has been boiling with the stew for a couple of minutes.

Looks good. I'll give it a try.

I'm not a veggie by my partner has her own recipe for an amazing chick-pea dhal.

I'll ask her for the recipe to post, if she'll let me.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who do you like in the NBA finals this year? Lebron or Steph Curry & the Pick Setters Whateverist 62 4695 June 17, 2015 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Thai Red Curry recipes or recommendations Clueless Morgan 8 1997 July 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan