Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need your help!
I need your help!
So I want to create a color identifier that that adjust to the lighting in the room. I'm not very techy but does anyone have any ideas?
RE: I need your help!
What's a colour identifier?
(April 30, 2014 at 3:16 am)fr0d0 Wrote: What's a colour identifier?

It's a camera-like device that helps the visually impaired with colors. Basically you hold it up to something and it tells you the color. However when the lighting changes the stupid device says another hue or color, and it doesn't identify patterned or multicolored things at all, so it's useless 70% of the time!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/color-id...46987?mt=8

http://www.abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pag...&top=32565

For the second link the Colorino is the most popular but it's still shitty
Wow I'd never heard of that. Nice gismo. So could you not use it with a torch? Torches have colour temperatures don't they, so it'd have to be calibrated. Does the phone app not work with the phones torch?
Torch? Light a flashlight? No it doesn't work in conjunction with the phone flashlight. And as I say the problem is more about consistent results, not lighting. Something cherry red should stay cherry red, not turn hot pink the next time I use me identifier.
Methinks you want something closer to Google goggles...
(April 30, 2014 at 3:48 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Torch? Light a flashlight? No it doesn't work in conjunction with the phone flashlight. And as I say the problem is more about consistent results, not lighting. Something cherry red should stay cherry red, not turn hot pink the next time I use me identifier.
Lighting would provide a consistent hue and thus consistent colour readings.

Better if you could isolate the light source to be only your torch.
(April 30, 2014 at 3:54 am)pocaracas Wrote: Methinks you want something closer to Google goggles...

Yeah... Don't think that'll work so well for me. Don't you need sight for those?
I'd offer to help, but I'm not frightfully tech-savvy. When someone told me I could listen to the radio via my computer, I spent an hour looking for that wee dial that tunes in the stations.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 30, 2014 at 4:01 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(April 30, 2014 at 3:54 am)pocaracas Wrote: Methinks you want something closer to Google goggles...

Yeah... Don't think that'll work so well for me. Don't you need sight for those?

Google goggles is an app for android (I don't know if they made one for the iphone) which can take a picture of anything and search for it online.... yes, most of the results are a bit crappy, but sometimes, it works quite well, like with brands or simple objects.
Real world example: if I take a picture of some painting, it can identify which painting it is... or, if you do like I just did and took a picture of my microsoft mouse, it returned the leaning tower of Pisa, because the mouse mat has that tower in it. I then tried to remove the mat and got nonsensical results for "similar images", spanning from furniture to jewelery, to hats, to balls.
It also does OCR (image to text) quite well , not to mention barcode reading and searching for the item that barcode refers to.
Of course, QR codes are also understood.

Also, I just took a photo of this image:

And it identified it as a reef shark.... which is nice and right on the money! Wink
Although, on my first attempt, I caught some letters on the same frame and it only identified those letters.... I had to aim a bit more carefully to get the correct result.

OK, I admit the technology isn't there yet, but it's a step in the right direction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need A Little Help Cinjin 28 3177 January 25, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: an0nemus
  Need help with Windows 8.1 A Theist 10 2403 March 26, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37