Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution, religion, and ignorance.
Evolution, religion, and ignorance.
So, we've been getting a few evolution-denying theists around recently, and their threads attempting to poke holes in the theory have reminded me of an old question that I'd like to get an answer for, and maybe you creationists can help with that:

Is it possible to deny evolution and understand what it is at the same time?

So far, every one of you who has stated a disbelief in evolution has gone on to prove that you don't know what it is. Given that, what I'd like is for all the evolution denying theists here to let me know two things:

1. What is evolution?

2. Why do you not accept evolution?

Have at it, theists.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
RE: Evolution, religion, and ignorance.
(May 8, 2014 at 1:31 am)Esquilax Wrote: So, we've been getting a few evolution-denying theists around recently, and their threads attempting to poke holes in the theory have reminded me of an old question that I'd like to get an answer for, and maybe you creationists can help with that:

So far, every one of you who has stated a disbelief in evolution has gone on to prove that you don't know what it is. Given that, what I'd like is for all the evolution denying theists here to let me know two things:

1. What is evolution?

Have at it, theists.

Wait until I get my popcorn.

Thinking
Dying to live, living to die.
We'll see who wants to play but my atheist answer is no.

Creationists just bore me now. No one who believes in that crap can have anything to say that's worth listening to.
Yeah... now that everyone pretty much knows that germs cause disease and the earth is round the lowest rung on the intellectual ladder is occupied by dumb fuck creatards.
(May 8, 2014 at 1:31 am)Esquilax Wrote: So, we've been getting a few evolution-denying theists around recently, and their threads attempting to poke holes in the theory have reminded me of an old question that I'd like to get an answer for, and maybe you creationists can help with that:

1. What is evolution?

Have at it, theists.

I suspect you'll be disappointed.

I agree that most creationists don't understand evolution, but that's a damned poor excuse for not accepting it. By way of analogy, I don't understand how my television works, but I accept that it does. Why? Because I can see it work.

Given the overwhelming evidence for evolution - plus the fact that we can see it happen - I think the creationist denial of science goes even deeper than simple ignorance. It is a willful denial of facts, evidence and observation. This is why creationists almost never accept evolution, in spite of the evidence for it (witness Rev's recent travesties). The reason for this is pretty plain: it simply adds one more phenomenon to the ever-growing list of things we don't need to invoke God for as an explanation. God's list of Things To Do Today has been shrinking ever since Thales picked up a lodestone, thought about Zeus and said, 'Hang on...'. The fact that scientists today do the same thing with Jehovah causes creationists no end of sleepless nights.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Because to accept evolution and what it implies means you have to utterly reject the myth of Christianity.

And one of the hardest thing a person can do is give up what they believe.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(May 8, 2014 at 5:14 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Because to accept evolution and what it implies means you have to utterly reject the myth of Christianity.

And one of the hardest thing a person can do is give up what they believe.

It's quite easy to say "your're not meant to take that part literally" though. Apparently it is obvious to tell which bits are and are not literal, though the results of this determination seem to be entirely dependant on the education of the Christian.
(May 8, 2014 at 1:31 am)Esquilax Wrote: Is it possible to deny evolution and understand what it is at the same time?

I can't see how and look to theists that aren't completely delusional for an answer. Believers that accept scientific fact, such as evolution, turn back and reconcile their beliefs to what is demonstrably true. This is typically done by giving God credit for creating nature's laws that result in evolution.
(May 8, 2014 at 5:11 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I suspect you'll be disappointed.

I agree that most creationists don't understand evolution, but that's a damned poor excuse for not accepting it. By way of analogy, I don't understand how my television works, but I accept that it does. Why? Because I can see it work.

But there's a difference between knowing how a TV works, and knowing what a TV is: Even without knowing how your TV works, if I asked you what it is, you'd tell me some variation on the theme of "it's an electronic device that outputs signals as visual and audio media."

That simple threshold of understanding, that one would expect to be the minimum requirement for having a cogent opinion on something, is lacking when theists speak about evolution. We've had multiple threads recently that do this, but it's a common enough refrain, where we're asked for evidence of evolution, and then when we all supply it, the creationist responds "yes, but where's your evidence of dogs turning into cats?"

If I asked you what a TV is, you could give me a correct answer. When I ask a creationist what evolution is, I'm told it's something it absolutely is not, which makes any opinion that creationist has on evolution roughly equivalent to their opinions on televisions, if they'd started the conversation by telling me that a television is a four wheeled vehicle driven by horses.

Hence my question: I'd like to know if any of the evolution deniers here actually know what evolution is, and conversely, whether any of the people who actually do understand evolution could still have a reason to deny it.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
My Prediction, if you get a response:

1) Snarky non-definition.
2)Because Jesus.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An evolution of sexuality via religion Foxaèr 5 1393 April 15, 2016 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10728 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New vid: argument from ignorance explained through mining robvalue 56 8156 January 2, 2016 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  "I can't see the wishom behind babies dying from cancer" is argument from ignorance ReptilianPeon 16 4138 December 7, 2015 at 1:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19826 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49325 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Kin Selection Explaining the Evolution of Religion Foxaèr 2 1673 April 20, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Evolution, Intelligence, Suggestibility and Religion Bipolar Bob 5 2215 November 17, 2013 at 3:43 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
Bug Evolution and the believers Atheist McTighe 15 6418 September 13, 2013 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: Cyberman