Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change your Ebay password!
Change your Ebay password!
REF: http://www.businessinsider.com/ebay-payp...ges-2014-5

Someone needs to retake Information Security 101...
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
RE: Change your Ebay password!
Thanks for that -- I didn't know eBay had been compromised.
I have not used my ebay account in forever. Cannot remember any of the login information, lol.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Just did it. Thanks for the heads up.

This is becoming a PITA. This hacking thing is really screwing with my password system.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Sigh...
Quote:Cyberattackers reportedly used employee credentials to gain unauthorized access to eBay's corporate network and a database that contained customers' names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers, and dates of birth.

The database did not contain financial information or other confidential personal information
"Other than several compound fractures, a collapsed lung and a lacerated spleen, no other injuries were reported."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Probably not widely known:

when your lifetime purchase total at Ebay exceeds $10,000, Ebay will cut you off unless you provide more personal information in their 'Get Verified' program. They will want 2 forms of payment information in their system, one or 2 bank accounts, and/or a credit card.

The beauty of this is for folks like me with 1 credit card and 1 bank account, one instance of hacking can put me totally out of business. I responded by setting up a temporary bank account (back when it was free to do so at my bank), gave Ebay the info (I already had given them my credit card info since I like the additional protection they offer) on that account. Once Ebay made sure the account was real (by them depositing successfully $0.08 and $0.05) I closed it out.

Also, it seems Ebay always defaults to a bank account as the primary way to pay, if you want to use a credit card (for the additional protections) you will need to change your payment method on every purchase, and the change icon is as small as they can make it.

My understanding is the guvmint has leaned on Ebay to institute the additional hassles at the $10,000 level to control money laundering. Considering it took me upwards of 500 individual purchases to reach my $10,000 threshold, I'm not sure what kind of plausible money laundering operation I might be running here, but I guess somebody somewhere sleeps better at night knowing I have been annoyingly inconvenienced for it.

Now that Ebay has been hacked, I do have that nice warm fuzzy feeling of having been correct, all along.

Even though I still will buy from Ebay, I think they've earned a great big "go fuck yourself".

Cranky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bots and the change of the web. WinterHold 29 2463 June 20, 2020 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  eBay bans woo Cyberman 2 1095 August 24, 2012 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  On Password Strength Tiberius 40 12118 April 3, 2012 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Today is Google change day Oldandeasilyconfused 26 7505 March 2, 2012 at 4:32 am
Last Post: frankiej