Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3Guys1Hammer - A Question for the religious
3Guys1Hammer - A Question for the religious
Recently i went through the horrible experience of watching the infamous video 3Guys1Hammer. My question here has been asked many times i'm sure but with graphical evidence of the torture of a human being i am compelled to ask:

'How can you justify the Judeo-Christian God allowing terrible suffering to occur, such as genocide, torture and famine etc, and still call him/her your saviour and a merciful and benevolent deity?.'

3Guys1Hammer - Here is the link to the video, i do not recommend watching it if you are faint hearted or at all really.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
RE: 3Guys1Hammer - A Question for the religious
(January 4, 2010 at 11:54 am)Shinylight Wrote: Recently i went through the horrible experience of watching the infamous video 3Guys1Hammer. My question here has been asked many times i'm sure but with graphical evidence of the torture of a human being i am compelled to ask:

'How can you justify the Judeo-Christian God allowing terrible suffering to occur, such as genocide, torture and famine etc, and still call him/her your saviour and a merciful and benevolent deity?.'

3Guys1Hammer - Here is the link to the video, i do not recommend watching it if you are faint hearted or at all really.

Words cannot express my utter and complete disgust at such actions. I did not watch all of it (maybe less than 1 minute) but what I did...Angry (I really wish I hadn't.)

Frankly, I hope that this is sufficient for you to understand/conclude that good/evil, right/wrong is not just some relativistic concept that depends on what a person thinks of an action. I hope this is sufficient for you to understand/conclude that this kind of action is wrong based on an objective, universal standard of right and wrong, evil and good...that regardless of what the perpetrators thought, the actions were wrong and evil. I cannot/will not go down that road that says the standards of right and wrong, good and evil are merely manmade and, therefore, ultimately justifying such behavior. The standards are objective, universal truths (which are distorted, repressed, or ignored by many but still objective and universal). This objective, universal truth must come from somewhere and it does not come from man or matter/energy, it comes from God. Since God has revealed Himself to be good in His Word, the Bible, I must conclude that He has sufficiently good reasons for allowing such awful things to happen. Yes, I must take this on faith because He does not reveal why He allows such things even though He reveals the source of such behavior, i.e., sin. While not very satisfying sometimes, it seems like it has to beat the alternative, i.e., holding a world view that condemns such actions on the one hand but is based on a presuppositions that ultimately justifies such behavior when thought through.
How are we, from our subjective perspective supposed to comprehend this objective truth you speak of? What tool should we use to check our understanding of the bible?
@rjh4 i do not understand how you can say that God has allowed this to happen because you say that God has 'reasons', nonetheless referencing the bible, of which moral actions are few and far between.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
Simples. God doesn't stop it happening. To do so would take way our freedom to do what we liked. If he took away our freedom, besides re-writing the laws of nature/ physics so they'd be unworkable/ illogical, that would be by far the worst evil. If there were no bad shit to make you see how fucked up it really is, you wouldn't want God.
Quote: How can you justify the Judeo-Christian God allowing terrible suffering to occur, such as genocide, torture and famine etc, and still call him/her your saviour and a merciful and benevolent deity?.

Why on earth would I want to watch a video of some guy being murdered? I first saw films of a couple (of FIFTEEN THOUSAND) of the Nazi camps at age 16. I threw up.

The problems of evil and suffering are perhaps the biggest issues for the Abrahamic faiths. I have long argued that the existence of suffering and evil are incompatible with the infinite qualities attributed to the Abrahamic God. [today]

Originally there was a petty mountain God called 'el'. In the Book of Genesis he is portrayed as petty,vindictive, cruel,jealous and petulant. It's only from The Book of Exodus that YHWH BEGINS to emerge as 'The ONE' with all those wonderful qualities and Judaism BEGINS its journey to monotheism. Of course,at this point YHWH encouraged the Jews to massacre the Canaanites, who happened to be living in the promised land at the time.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Tangent; The commandment does NOT say "thou shalt not kill" The actual translation is "'thou shalt commit no murder', an important distinction. It was not considered murder to kill an enemy or miscreant ,such as a disobedient child. An enemy could be ANY stranger or member of another tribe,men women and children. I posit that it was this xenophobia which led to some of the powerful and rigid laws of hospitality still found in some places. The laws were to protect the guest from being murdered.
(January 4, 2010 at 7:27 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Simples. God doesn't stop it happening. To do so would take way our freedom to do what we liked. If he took away our freedom, besides re-writing the laws of nature/ physics so they'd be unworkable/ illogical, that would be by far the worst evil. If there were no bad shit to make you see how fucked up it really is, you wouldn't want God.

That is a good point. That pretty much sums up how anything God did directly effecting Earth in the Bible is false and disproves the concept of miracles from God.

For example, Noah's ark. In order for God to make it rain for 40 days/nights he would had to have re-written the laws of nature / physics. Another good example is parting the Red Sea and just about everything else God did on Earth.

Also, God curing a cancer patient (a miracle) would again only be possible if the laws of nature were re-written.
God apparently allows it to happen to give atheist something to write about.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
If that was the case... Wouldn't that mean that God needed us atheists and not the other way around? Wink

EvF
(January 5, 2010 at 7:28 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: If that was the case... Wouldn't that mean that God needed us atheists and not the other way around? Wink

EvF

Without god, atheists would lack definition.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3729 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A Question On Manipulation for the Religious LivingNumbers6.626 24 4323 July 22, 2016 at 10:15 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4931 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32896 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Question(s) for the Religious Walking Void 101 18213 August 10, 2013 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Cyberman