Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowden
Snowden
I watched the interview last night with Bryan Williams.

Complex guy. Idealistic yet rational. And, of course, the documents he leaked show that the government is full of shit.... which we knew but never had the evidence and would not have it except for him.
RE: Snowden
I missed that interview, some say he is a traitor but I say he is a patriot, he gave up his life in the U.S, he family, his job, etc. I hope they give him clemency.

manowar
He clearly broke the law but he did so to demonstrate that the government broke it first. And he was right.

I agree, clemency is in order. The only reason to make an example of him is to deter future whistle-blowers which is certainly in the interest of the power structure....but not ours.
I say pin a medal on the guy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 30, 2014 at 3:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: He clearly broke the law but he did so to demonstrate that the government broke it first. And he was right.

I agree, clemency is in order.

As well as convictions for all those whose lawbreaking was perversely and self-servingly made illegal for him to reveal.

The president who would pardon him would get my vote.
(May 30, 2014 at 5:01 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 3:58 pm)Minimalist Wrote: He clearly broke the law but he did so to demonstrate that the government broke it first. And he was right.

As well as convictions for all those whose lawbreaking was perversely and self-servingly made illegal for him to reveal.

Good luck with that.
Lets keep in mind what he 'illegally' revealed were illegal spying programs of the government that violated U.S. laws, the constitution and international law. So even if you are concerned about the law, Snowden is a hero.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(May 30, 2014 at 5:02 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 5:01 pm)Chuck Wrote: As well as convictions for all those whose lawbreaking was perversely and self-servingly made illegal for him to reveal.

Good luck with that.

I am just saying what would increase the respectability of united states. I do not say United states is, or ever would be, respectable.
Re: RE: Snowden
(May 30, 2014 at 5:01 pm)Chuck Wrote:

What about the presidents that fostered and allowed this?
(May 30, 2014 at 5:24 pm)KUSA Wrote:
(May 30, 2014 at 5:01 pm)Chuck Wrote: As well as convictions for all those whose lawbreaking was perversely and self-servingly made illegal for him to reveal.

What about the presidents that fostered and allowed this?

Ideally or practically?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TED - Edward Snowden talk and NSA's reply pocaracas 0 691 March 21, 2014 at 7:18 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Snowden was not in the wrong Foxaèr 5 2051 September 9, 2013 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: bladevalant546