Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Warrior = Dark Skin?
Alien Warrior = Dark Skin?
I've noticed a peculiar trend in sci fi shows set in space. The character in the staring crew that is of the "honorable warrior" type often has dark skin. In several cases, the character is even played by a black actor.

Some examples that come to my mind (are there more?):

D'Argo from Farscape:

[Image: 2cQ7zEfl.jpg]

Worf from Star Trek TNG and DS9

[Image: afqRdID.jpg]

Teal'c from Stargate SG-1

[Image: vFH8jWL.jpg]

Ronon from Stargate Atlantis

[Image: qZqL0A4.jpg]

And maybe this is a bit of a stretch but I think Chewbacca fits into this pattern

[Image: gywOQus.jpg]
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Alien Warrior = Dark Skin?
[Image: HEOJs.gif]
Weird I never noticed. There is actually a trope for that.

It's called "Proud Warrior Race Guy"
Ah, I forgot Try from Andromeda:

[Image: SkxYLN8.jpg]
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(June 6, 2014 at 11:19 pm)Tea Earl Grey Hot Wrote: Ah, I forgot Try from Andromeda:

[Image: SkxYLN8.jpg]

Tyr
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(June 6, 2014 at 11:20 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Tyr

Oh, I know. Autocorrect did that.
My ignore list

If Worf and Tyr want to stop by and go all warrior on my ass, I wouldn't worry about the racial angle till they were done.

Tongue

Oh, forgot Chewbacca, he can come by too !!
Counters:

Martok
[Image: Martok.jpg]

Bra'tac of Chulak
[Image: Bratac1.jpg]

Those two clear hit the "Alien Warrior" trope.

In the context of Andromeda, Captain Dylan Hunt is not "human". He is a heavy worlder-Paradine hybrid. He is later more of an Alien Warrior as his role changes towards discovering the Paradines.

[Image: Kevin-Sorbo-as-Dylan-Hunt.jpg]

Harper and Becca are the Human "Badass Normal" tropes.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I assume that "dark" means "darker than Caucasians". The question is, why would aliens be as light or lighter than Caucasians, when skin color can go from white (no or little pigment) to black (lots of pigment)? Which do you think is more likely:
Getting the number 3, when someone else spouts a random number between 1 and 10, or getting any number except 3?
Yes, there are more actors with "dark" skin who play aliens than Caucasians. That's just because, statistically, you'd be more likely to find non-Caucasians than Caucasians. Actually, if you focus on just one skin tone (and not a whole spectrum, as you're doing in the OP), you're more likely to find every skin tone except that one. Assuming all skin tones are equally distributed amongst the species, of course. Given that these are "aliens" we're talking about, I think it's the best bet.

...Or it's just plain old racism. Take your pick.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
If the Chinese made sci if soap operas, I bet a good portion of aliens would be white and very few would have Asian looking skin tones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Inuit Are Dark Skinned ? The Architect Of Fate 6 713 March 26, 2022 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Dark meat vs. light meat Foxaèr 11 801 December 1, 2021 at 12:20 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Dark Humour The Architect Of Fate 28 2273 March 3, 2020 at 5:54 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The beauty of dark skin Foxaèr 39 3011 May 30, 2018 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Bear healed with fish skin. brewer 13 1863 February 3, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How much do I now resemble a skin head? Clueless Morgan 47 5762 August 10, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Canada Now Has Money That Glows In The Dark Amarok 11 3670 June 14, 2017 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Jackalope
Exclamation I have gone to the dark side. Aractus 7 1978 March 26, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Being a warrior-mom sucks sometimes Joods 22 3387 March 21, 2015 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Joods
  12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado Hovik 27 11101 July 21, 2012 at 9:57 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat