Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eternity? Why worry about what I can't comprehend?
Eternity? Why worry about what I can't comprehend?
There are a few problems I have with the Eternal Punishment;

It is logically impossible for a finite mind to comprehend the infinite. Nothing in this world remains in its current state, not even atoms. They do not have any permanency in this dimension. No one can even explain eternity. So why worry about it? Even If I went to heaven, spending eternity their doesn't make sense does it? In fact it doesn't sound any better than hell.

So why then do Christians have me worrying being being tortured for eternity?

Pain tells us to react and respond. When you burn your toe or pour hot oil, your brain knows that there's an alternative. That it will have to end. But HOW CAN IT GO ON FOREVER AND EVER? WHAT SENSE DOES THAT MAKE? ETERNAL PAIN? NO HUMAN BEING IN THEIR RIGHT MIND FROM ATHEIST TO CHRISTIAN CAN COMPREHEND ETERNITY? HOW CAN THIS EXIST?

Perhaps eternity is reserved for higher dimensions. But as far as I'm concerned ''I'm only human born to make mistakes.'' And expecting me to do anything else is well....humanly stupid.

RE: Eternity? Why worry about what I can't comprehend?
Quote:So why then do Christians have me worrying being being tortured for eternity?

Ultimately, they want you to join their church so you can put money in their collection plate.

Welcome.
I have been studying the bible a lot lately. I have learned that it doesn't teach eternal torment. It teaches annihilation to the unsaved. There are only a few misunderstood verses about eternal torment. The vast amount speak of death. Only the saved will be given immortality.

The Christians that teach eternal torment are fools that love adding insult to injury.
(June 15, 2014 at 6:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:So why then do Christians have me worrying being being tortured for eternity?

Ultimately, they want you to join their church so you can put money in their collection plate.

Welcome.

When they ask you for money - politely refuse based on the bible - saying that it is clear that the christ said
Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and
Give to God what is god's.

And then have them join you in a prayer that god supplies the money they want
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It might be that we all actually asked to come here.
I heard we were spirits around God's throne asking to be made into people in spite of God's warning that earth is an evil place.
In juvenile confidence, we said we would not fail Him.

I always thought the same thing as you-
I didn't ask to be here.
But I am here, and since I am, I needed to find out the truth about life and reality.
Choices have to be made regardless of how we feel about them.
THAT is the correct response to evidence.

As for eternal punishment, the false Messiah (O) and his false prophet (Francis) are singled out for it.
When the period of time ahead is over, no one will say they don't deserve it.
The rest, who don't want the God of Heaven are not so specified.
But intelligence leaves nothing to chance.
And chance has no intelligence.
Quote:Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and
Give to God what is god's.

The church is one step from sending someone like Luca Brasi to your house.
(June 15, 2014 at 7:26 pm)KUSA Wrote: I have been studying the bible a lot lately. I have learned that it doesn't teach eternal torment. It teaches annihilation to the unsaved. There are only a few misunderstood verses about eternal torment. The vast amount speak of death. Only the saved will be given immortality.

The Christians that teach eternal torment are fools that love adding insult to injury.

I agree that the bible doesn't necessarily teach everlasting torment. There's verses that lead me to think annihilation, but there's also many verses that suggest universal reconciliation. I believe it definitely teaches hell though, at least prior to whatever is the final state of the unbeliever.
(June 15, 2014 at 7:26 pm)KUSA Wrote: The Christians that teach eternal torment are fools that love adding insult to injury.

What does it say about a religion when perhaps the prevailing attitude towards outsiders is the gleeful anticipation of literally the worst kinds of torment being visited upon them?

Of course, that's what drives them to pretend that they aren't bound to suffer the same fate. Point out to any Christian what Jesus explicitly says about old testament law in the Sermon on the Mount, and you're virtually guaranteed to get a response of "no, see, you're obviously interpreting it incorrectly because this doesn't apply to me".
(June 15, 2014 at 10:57 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:
(June 15, 2014 at 7:26 pm)KUSA Wrote: The Christians that teach eternal torment are fools that love adding insult to injury.

What does it say about a religion when perhaps the prevailing attitude towards outsiders is the gleeful anticipation of literally the worst kinds of torment being visited upon them?

I don't detect any glee among christians concerning unbelievers going to hell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5476 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What would your eternity be like? BrokenQuill92 48 7456 September 20, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Bridge to eternity lucent 36 6670 September 28, 2011 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Epimethean