Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compressor Educational [Mini project]
Compressor Educational [Mini project]
http://compressor.ueuo.com/

How to try it :

About:

What works and what doesn't ?

Extra info :

PS: test it using chrome and not firefox , cuz fox is a little buggy with the run button(can be fixed, but i'm gonna sleep now) .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
RE: Compressor Educational [Mini project]
[Image: ibvzfn.gif]
Been looking at compression techniques myself recently watching Silicon Valley. Very interesting stuff.
(July 9, 2014 at 7:40 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: PS :You're not supposed to understand the output of 0's and 1's, its binary *duh* Big Grin (but thats only in Huffman's case)

Suuuuure, it CLAIMS to compress the text from 1568 bits down to 801, but just LOOK at the boxes.
The left one is half empty but the "compressed" box is filled a couple times. You call that compression? Wink
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(July 10, 2014 at 7:18 am)JuliaL Wrote:
(July 9, 2014 at 7:40 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: PS :You're not supposed to understand the output of 0's and 1's, its binary *duh* Big Grin (but thats only in Huffman's case)

Suuuuure, it CLAIMS to compress the text from 1568 bits down to 801, but just LOOK at the boxes.
The left one is half empty but the "compressed" box is filled a couple times. You call that compression? Wink

Hahaha Big Grin . Thats the same thing my sister told me , and i'm like b-b-but its binary , and she's like "ITS MORE" Big Grin
I think I broke it... put in a load of the same character... comes out at 0 bits :/ 0 bits is amazing compression !
(July 10, 2014 at 8:34 am)StuW Wrote: I think I broke it... put in a load of the same character... comes out at 0 bits :/ 0 bits is amazing compression !

Yeah, I'm preventing that type of input, I don't remember why I did that Big Grin

I'll fix it Tongue

Btw , the amount of bits calculated from the left box is based on an "UTF-8" character encoding , where there is 8 bits for each character. There is also "UTF-16" and "UTF-32" as possible encodings .
The numerical suffix in UTF8, et al denotes number of bits allocated for part of a code point.

Some code points are 8 bits, some are multiple bytes.

And not everything is UTF8, UTF16, etc,. There are plenty of other legacy encodings on the web that can make like very painful (looking at you Latin-1).
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Multiple Sclerosis Map: my latest web project WinterHold 22 2966 October 4, 2019 at 10:02 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why are our mini-computers called smartphones? Alexmahone 57 4544 September 1, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Help With Electric Project for Alzhimerz Jenny A 49 4309 March 15, 2017 at 8:41 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thank god, I finished this MVC project finally ! WinterHold 6 1188 April 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  venus project stonedape 2 857 October 28, 2014 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: stonedape
  Windshore Project thesummerqueen 8 2083 October 17, 2012 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Google Project Glass Paul the Human 11 3314 April 7, 2012 at 9:43 am
Last Post: fuckass365