Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who needs to know?
Who needs to know?
If the leadership of a church body causes a person to become suicidal through bullying, who has an interest in hearing about the behaviour that brought the matter to such a head?

I have heard people argue that it's a matter to be dealt with by the leadership of the organisation and no-one else.

I 've heard people argue that the congregation should be alerted to what's happened in their name.

I've also heard that the if the church seeks to influence public policy and sway individual opinions outside the church, the community they want to change deserve to know the ethical mien of the body calling for such change.

Thoughts welcome.
RE: Who needs to know?
Internal problems can rarely be solved internally. Usually it takes a third party to drag the problem into the light and fix it.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If you read my posts you'll understand why the following response is atypical for me... Ready? Here we go....

FUCK CHURCH "LEADERSHIP"!
The church leaders will cover up and protect each other. Get the info out. Hell, I'd file a report with the police. If they've bullied someone to the point where they're suicidal, crimes have been committed.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Thanks for the responses.

So, what if the organisation was a secular advocacy group instead of a church?
Bullying is bullying. Either report it, or let your silence condemn you.

I've witnesses a scene where a priest hears from the church's maid that a guy is there to talk to him because he has been having suicidal thoughts and needs some advice/divine help. The priest's answer was - He didn't schedule anything, so fuck him. Sounds very non Christian to me
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 21, 2014 at 8:59 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Bullying is bullying. Either report it, or let your silence condemn you.

That's the way I figured it out.
Turns out, some atheists can turn nasty when you expose them as being every bit as capable of bullying as religious leaders. Not enjoying the fallout, but doing what I can to make good on the harm done by an organisation I endorsed, and trying to convince a friend that her organisation is in danger of following a similar path of cover ups and denial that can only lead to fail.
Pretty down on people, right now.
People can go die in a fire.
(July 21, 2014 at 9:44 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote:
(July 21, 2014 at 8:59 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Bullying is bullying. Either report it, or let your silence condemn you.

That's the way I figured it out.
Turns out, some atheists can turn nasty when you expose them as being every bit as capable of bullying as religious leaders. Not enjoying the fallout, but doing what I can to make good on the harm done by an organisation I endorsed, and trying to convince a friend that her organisation is in danger of following a similar path of cover ups and denial that can only lead to fail.

Well, there's plenty of good in people too. You just have to look carefully, because we seem to hide it so fucking well sometimes.

(July 22, 2014 at 8:02 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(July 21, 2014 at 9:44 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote: That's the way I figured it out.

Well, there's plenty of good in people too. You just have to look carefully, because we seem to hide it so fucking well sometimes.

Thanks for your response and for your encouragement to not give up on humans altogether.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The witness argument (yet again, I know, I know) Mystic 81 11230 August 19, 2018 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Does God have rules he needs to follow? ScubaSlayer 106 17215 March 18, 2014 at 1:22 am
Last Post: tor
  Who needs satnav....when you can have " angels "? bozo 12 3074 September 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  In case anybody needs reminding Rokcet Scientist 3 1958 March 7, 2011 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  God's will.....who needs it? bozo 62 21337 July 17, 2009 at 6:37 am
Last Post: LEDO