Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck between a rock and a hard place
Stuck between a rock and a hard place
Hello, everyone. I'm brand new to this website, so wish me luck. Over the past few days, I've been thinking about whether or not to tell my family/friends that I am an atheist. At first I thought that there was no point in telling people of my beliefs (or lack thereof), but after thinking about it for a while, I realized that there actually are a lot of reasons why I should tell people. For one, I would be able to sleep in on Sundays. Big Grin Secondly, maybe I would convince other people around me to not be so secretive about their atheism. And third, I would be able to talk with other atheists I know irl without worrying that someone will catch me. But then again there are a few reasons why I shouldn't tell anyone. One, my plan could backfire completely, and my dad could make me go to church everyday of the week instead of just Sunday (I don't think that would happen, but it's possible). Second, most of my friends are Christians, amd they're the kind who believe that they shouldn't have anything to do with non-believers. So, I think that I might lose some friends. Third, living with my dad would be awkward b/c he is a christian. So, I am having trouble deciding what to do, and I was hoping I could get feedback from fellow atheists. Thanks Smile
RE: Stuck between a rock and a hard place
It's best to just come out of the closet. How religious are your friends and family? Conservative religious or the kind of liberals who don't even go to church every week but still believe?

And how old are you? Considering you mentioned your dad could make you go to church

I here proclaim the best Welcome for you. You'll enjoy it here, and there are Christians, theists and deists on the forum, not only atheists and anti-theists
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Welcome John.

People aren't nearly as strict in their beliefs when they are actually confronted with a real life situation. It's funny how many people suddenly become more tolerant of others when they actual meet somebody different.
Thank you for the warm welcome

Most of the people I know are pretty strong conservatives who go to church more than once a week.

I just turned 16
Hello John Hi

You are in a tough spot. I would advise you to reconsider telling everyone, particularly your dad, at this point. The teen years are rough enough without adding an atheist into a family of christians. Confusedhock:

In a couple years you will have graduated and can be out on your own. I think that would be a better time to drop the bomb! This would be for your benefit, and peace of mind. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

And welcome Hedgehog
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
Unless you think your family would hurt you, or compeltely disown you, you should come out. Maybe do it slowly, like mention atheism and see how they react to it. Don't just blurt out thta you're an atheist without having a idea of how they would react.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

While I understand the desire to come clean about your atheism (and to sleep in on Sundays), you need to weigh that against what you think the likely consequences of coming out will be. If your family and circle of acquaintances are that conservative and devout in their beliefs, your announcing that you're an atheist might result in two years of well-meaning but unwelcome attempts to bring you back into the fold. That could be more aggravating than the status quo. Just a thought.

Once you are 18, you might be able to take ownership of your atheism without becoming everyone's project.
(July 25, 2014 at 8:12 pm)JohnNelson98 Wrote: Thank you for the warm welcome

Most of the people I know are pretty strong conservatives who go to church more than once a week.

I just turned 16

My recommendation: do whatever doesn't get you dead. Blend until you can be yourself without returning to sender.

... Unless you want to.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome

Hang in there
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Or mess with your parents.

Feign belief in a FAR stricter form of Christianity than they profess. Observe dietary laws, get picky about wearing clothing all of the same fabric, object if your mom or other women talk about religion to males, ask about getting a poisonous pet snake. If either of your parents has a prior marriage start agitating the current one is adulterous. You're a teenager, you might find considerable inner motivation for this.

If you're good at it, they'll eventually beg you to become atheist.

Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1948 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4478 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Sometimes it's hard for me to shut up about my atheism Der/die AtheistIn 23 5289 August 15, 2017 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4072 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 12915 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The flame between two darknesses: A celebration of reality FebruaryOfReason 10 4624 March 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  correlation between intelligence and atheism Sappho 22 4050 December 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Vincent
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 45147 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does Religion Have A Place in the World? InsomniacMike486 23 5728 July 31, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Question for Atheists: Is coming out as an atheist as hard as coming out as gay? Blackrook 46 11947 May 2, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: robvalue