Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
correlation between intelligence and atheism
correlation between intelligence and atheism
Do you believe there is a strong correlation between intelligence and being an atheist?
Why (not) ?

And between strong atheism/religion and weak atheism/religion?
whatever floats your goat
RE: correlation between intelligence and atheism
No.

But there is a strong correlation between skeptical thinking and atheism not to mention education and atheism particularly education in the sciences.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(December 8, 2015 at 10:32 am)Jenny A Wrote: No.

But there is a strong correlation between skeptical thinking and atheism not to mention education and atheism particularly education in the sciences.

I couldn't agree more.
Although it isn't always the case of course.
whatever floats your goat
No correlation. Just asking a few more questions, is all. There are fundamentally stupid atheists as there are intelligent religious people.

And I daresay, the most radical of both factions, seem to be the most unintelligent.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
If there are, they ain't very large. In any case, I know plenty of dumb atheists as well as brilliant religious people (even if I don't for the life of me understand the latter), so even if there were a correlation, it is not a rule.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Nnnuuuupe. That's much too simplistic of a statement anyway
(December 8, 2015 at 10:20 am)Sappho Wrote: Do you believe there is a strong correlation between intelligence and being an atheist?
Why (not) ?

And between strong atheism/religion and weak atheism/religion?

No.
(December 8, 2015 at 10:32 am)Jenny A Wrote: No.

This probably accounts for the popularity of distrust toward higher education 'elites' among Republicans in this country.
No. There's not a correlation. There's a causation.

Atheism makes you smarter. Angel
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Correlation doesn't equal causation - There is a correlation between atheism and IQ, regardless of what that means, and there's studies corroborating that you can find all over the internet - Of course, this is a simplistic scenario and I don't like to assume that all atheists are smart or that all theists are dumb.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2751 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1950 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Could this exciting 2019 comedy show about God, concern artificial intelligence? blue grey brain 8 1300 February 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Wink Human Intelligence is an Illusion The__Chameleon 58 9276 December 19, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27132 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4073 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Atheist/liberal correlation Imaginaryfriendless 347 22648 August 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The flame between two darknesses: A celebration of reality FebruaryOfReason 10 4625 March 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12274 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Deepak Chopra Questions Richard Dawkins Intelligence Salacious B. Crumb 26 5638 June 7, 2015 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus