Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:38 pm

Poll: How would you rate your irrationality?
This poll is closed.
I have no irrational thought at all
20.00%
4 20.00%
I have had a single occurance of irrational thought
0%
0 0%
I have irrational thoughts from time to time
60.00%
12 60.00%
I have frequent irrational thoughts
10.00%
2 10.00%
I have very irrational thoughts from time to time
5.00%
1 5.00%
I have frequent very irrational thoughts
5.00%
1 5.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irrational beliefs
Irrational beliefs
Given some of the themes that have popped up in recent threads I'm curious about what level of irrationality atheists and agnostics (and whatever blends exist therein) believe they have or not, as the case may be.

I'd ask for honesty but I know I'm not going to get that, just try to be as honest as you can.

For this poll, irrational thoughts include;

Wishing things would go well/better for yourself or others
Believing in or offering other people 'luck'
Some form of universal karma or other universal energies/vibrations (not scientific)
Superstitions or superstitious behaviour (lucky socks, black cats, 'never fail' items used for dates, Friday 13th, crossing fingers, blowing dice before you throw them, etc.)
Ghosts or spirits
Conversing with deceased loved ones (including pets)
higher spiritual powers

Comments welcome.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: Irrational beliefs
I have none that you've listed. That's not to say that I've had none at all. I am in a very pragmatic phase of life, and irrational beliefs seem to me as nails on a chalkboard - unpleasant.
I have none.

If someone can provide evidence and reasoned argument that any of my beliefs or thoughts are irrational, I will stop having them.

As Matt Dilahunty says, I want to have as many true beliefs and as few false beliefs as possible. To this end, I am opened to being proven wrong about any of my beliefs.

To add, at one time, for about a couple of months, I entertained the truth of 'ancient aliens'. But that quickly passed.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I think the only irrational thought I have is that my talents come from somewhere else, like when I sit down to write an article I feel like I'm appealing to the universe for inspiration or something... but this may still be a product of weaning myself off religion. Your irrational list didn't really relate to me otherwise.
The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.
-- Mark Twain, Notebook
Don't we all from time to time? Is if possible to have absolutes when it is not always clear on what is and what isn't rational? Everyone's opinion will differ and that's just part of life.
(July 26, 2014 at 7:37 pm)Elskidor Wrote: Don't we all from time to time? Is if possible to have absolutes when it is not always clear on what is and what isn't rational? Everyone's opinion will differ and that's just part of life.

I think you're right. I'm curious to see what others think on the subject of irrational thought and how many people would say they have none at all. It's also interesting to see post views versus those who cast a vote, I suspect many will abstain.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(July 26, 2014 at 8:03 pm)ManMachine Wrote: I'm curious to see what others think on the subject of irrational thought and how many people would say they have none at all.
(bold added for emphasis)

The heading of your OP says "irrational beliefs", and here you've said "irrational thoughts", of which I have many daily (and since I know they're irrational I refuse to form these 'thoughts' into any kind of a forged 'belief'). Which question are you asking? Thinking
Some of you have heard the term "regression to the mean" and I agree with the concept.

I've also noted, curiously, that "progression to the mean" seems to rarely happen to me, particularly if it is regards to something important to me.

The classic example would be a Ford Mustang I bought new in the 80s. EVERY FUCKING MONTH something vital broke on that piece of shit. No matter how much money I spent on that turd, it was still a TURD.

Sooner or later, it had to come up on the goddamn graph a little, but it NEVER fucking did for me.

Last straw was worn out engine bearings at 70,000 miles. And that was after replacing EVERYTHING FUCKING ELSE on it, some parts more than once.

(sorry, still get a little worked up about that!)
(July 26, 2014 at 9:13 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Some of you have heard the term "regression to the mean" and I agree with the concept.

I've also noted, curiously, that "progression to the mean" seems to rarely happen to me, particularly if it is regards to something important to me.

The classic example would be a Ford Mustang I bought new in the 80s. EVERY FUCKING MONTH something vital broke on that piece of shit. No matter how much money I spent on that turd, it was still a TURD.

Sooner or later, it had to come up on the goddamn graph a little, but it NEVER fucking did for me.

Last straw was worn out engine bearings at 70,000 miles. And that was after replacing EVERYTHING FUCKING ELSE on it, some parts more than once.

(sorry, still get a little worked up about that!)

I'm with you brother... There's not a lot of good thugs being said about mustang11's on the forums I frequent.

Then again, I've just about changed every part on my classic 71.
Cars are made a lot better these days as consumers are more demanding for quality...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I bought the Mustang and while I don't remember the interest rate on the loan, it was high, I had $350/mo payments for 4 years. I think 1 year into it they changed the tax code and interest on a car loan was no longer deductible. I was really POd since I was paying so much.

The bank didn't like my attitude about their sending me my statements postage due (really) (I had to stand in line at the post office to pay 17 cents to get my bank statements, once for nearly a 1/2 hour!) and they closed out my checking account. (yes, they can do that) My anger was due in part to those damn $350 payments.

Even before the car was paid off, it started having BIZARRE problems. Engine electronics were awful back then and it seemed I was buying modules all the time. And every time it blew one, it had to be towed. It had extremely fragile wheel bearings, and sometimes they didn't put in the replacements very well, and that got me towed several more times.

It felt like it would try to jump into all gears at the same time, no idea what that was.

It was near a building that burned down one night, and much to my HORROR, it was the closest car to the building that did NOT burn up. It just melted the bumper cover. My insurance had to pay that, not the arsonists.

When the engine bearings crapped out the service manager wasn't thrilled with my bad attitude, and informed me I knew it was a Ford when I bought it.

Kinda odd remark from a Ford employee. Summed up things nicely though, never bought another.

I know it was random coincidence, but that fucking car was cursed.

Years later there was a class action lawsuit about some of the engine electronics. I had my copies of the receipts, and sent them in. 2 years later, CLAIM DENIED. They claimed the receipt was for far more than the amount I should have paid for the repair. I think the dealership fucked me, and then I got fucked again on the class action suit.

Fuck FORD in the ASS with a barbed wire wrapped FIST.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 18265 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  There are no "isms" just beliefs and positions. Brian37 14 1203 September 1, 2021 at 5:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A question about atheistic “beliefs” (opinions, guesses, etc.) Frank Apisa 252 15646 June 30, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7049 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheism is irrational. theologian 153 19907 December 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Why people afraid to ask questions about their beliefs? Torin 21 4477 August 13, 2016 at 1:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Beliefs, Significant Others and Compromises Bob Kelso 20 4890 September 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  How Irrational People Think Mudhammam 41 7409 January 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Religion, ghosts, gods, chupacabra and beliefs? Dorian Gray 12 4205 October 20, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  How can Christians and Atheist respect each other's beliefs? Hezekiah 50 9148 October 5, 2014 at 2:47 am
Last Post: robvalue