Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Image Problem With Atheism in America
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteveryt...-atheists/

Quote:Faith-based institutions provide resources to these poor and working-class families. They also fight racial discrimination, offer a foundation for community organizing and create access to social welfare, professional networks and educational resources. These are essential issues, and atheists of color often find themselves allied in these missions.

White atheists have a markedly different agenda....White organizations go to battle over church/state separation and creationism in schools. They largely ignore the fact that black nonbelievers face a racial and gender divide....But when we look to atheist and humanist organizations for solidarity on these issues, there is a staggering lack of interest...

Ultimately, if people of color don’t see atheists and humanists stepping up on issues that directly affect their communities, atheists proselytizing about the evils of organized religion will be dismissed as empty paternalism.

Thoughts? This has been an issue for many years where the outspoken atheists in America are seemingly dominated by mainly middle-class, white men who are are often seen as self-serving by minority atheists. I have even read articles by minority atheists that view these white atheists as closet white supremacists and want absolutely nothing to do with them. Agnostic Atheist, But Not Interested In White Supremacist Atheism
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
RE: The Image Problem With Atheism in America
(August 1, 2014 at 2:37 am)Polaris Wrote: http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteveryt...-atheists/

Faith-based institutions provide resources to these poor and working-class families. They also fight racial discrimination, offer a foundation for community organizing and create access to social welfare, professional networks and educational resources. These are essential issues, and atheists of color often find themselves allied in these missions.

They also systematically hide pedophiles from justice, condemn homosexuality and bomb planed parenthood clinics.

(August 1, 2014 at 2:37 am)Polaris Wrote: White atheists have a markedly different agenda....White organizations go to battle over church/state separation and creationism in schools. They largely ignore the fact that black nonbelievers face a racial and gender divide....But when we look to atheist and humanist organizations for solidarity on these issues, there is a staggering lack of interest...

OK firstly, I didn't even need to click the link to know this was written by a black guy/girl. 'White organizations' really?

I don't think the lack of interest for the racial and gender divide from atheist groups is staggering. Its exactly what you would expect seeing as atheism has nothing to do with these things. There are plenty of other organizations that campaign for equality and against discrimination. Atheist groups don't want to waste their time campaigning for something that a lot of other groups are. They prioritise and so choose church/state separation issues because they are the only group who are actually going to fight against it. If there weren't any relevant issues at hand for an atheist group to address, i'm sure they would turn their sights to issues of race and gender.

(August 1, 2014 at 2:37 am)Polaris Wrote: Ultimately, if people of color don’t see atheists and humanists stepping up on issues that directly affect their communities, atheists proselytizing about the evils of organized religion will be dismissed as empty paternalism.

Atheists and humanists are different things. One does not come hand in hand with the other.

(August 1, 2014 at 2:37 am)Polaris Wrote: Thoughts? This has been an issue for many years where the outspoken atheists in America are seemingly dominated by mainly middle-class, white men who are are often seen as self-serving by minority atheists. I have even read articles by minority atheists that view these white atheists as closet white supremacists and want absolutely nothing to do with them. Agnostic Atheist, But Not Interested In White Supremacist Atheism

And I have read articles by minority 'scientists' who believe the pyramids in Egypt are landing platforms for spaceships.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
From the linked blog:
Quote:Most atheists of colour aren’t looking for a White massa to run a collective atheist plantation.

Guess what? Neither are most atheists of any color.
(August 1, 2014 at 6:01 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: And I have read articles by minority 'scientists' who believe the pyramids in Egypt are landing platforms for spaceships.

Hey that's silly the spaceships would just slide off down the sides Tongue
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
I agree with that blog about atheists/theists preaching to you being annoying, but calling them closeted white supremacists because they don't take criticism well is absurd. Her argument is: White male atheists don't like to be criticized by black female atheists, ergo, they are closeted white supremacists. Telling someone you think they are full of shit and/or you don't believe them isn't likely to be taken well...by anyone of any race. If that person does exist, I haven't met him/her anyway. I am going to assume the people she refers to have big or delicate egos before I call them closet Klansmen. She makes a whopper of an assumption based on what she thinks the other person is assuming. It wouldn't surprise me if she thought I was a woman hating Nazi for writing this. There should be a word for that. Like asshole or something. It is both gender and racially neutral.
I'm a mentally ill atheist, and I don't see white or black atheists doing anything for me and my bretheren.

Should I callously throw around accusations of prejudice, or should I come to the realization that it's ludicrous to expect an organization to address issues that aren't directly related to its cause?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
We do not have an image problem, anymore than Galileo should have had one. Getting angry at sexism, bigotry, homophobia, religious violence and attacks on science are what sane people do. Theists have a use of logic problem, they should not be blaming us for the stories someone else sold them that are simply not true.
There may well be racists atheists, no doubt. I suspect that they represent a small proportion of atheists as a whole, and know for sure they don't represent me, a member of a multi-racial family.

It would be nice if more 'atheists of color' joined active atheist groups.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
There's also no atheist kkk. Fucking atheists with their liberal bias!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4526 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why are Atheists in America ok with cannibalism through consent Kaloomi 67 10954 June 23, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your problem with Atheism? ignoramus 113 23358 June 3, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1120 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27168 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Destruction of America by Atheists Loading Please Wait 25 3911 December 5, 2016 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Quixotic
  Why is Atheism more controversial in America than Europe? TheMessiah 19 4328 June 6, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Is Atheism truly frowned upon in America? TheMessiah 21 5395 February 10, 2015 at 12:23 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12497 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12162 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite