Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can one be Atheist and Superstitious?
Can one be Atheist and Superstitious?
I've have posted a couple new threads and found that I was very well educated in both argument and foolishness.

So I wanted to ask another question that is personal to me.

While I don't believe in any god or gods yet I don't reject the possibility that one or several may exist, does that make me foolish or disingenuous of claiming to be an atheist if I "knock on wood" and occasionally partake in superstitious thinking? Basically warding off bad luck, even if I have no understanding or belief that it will help but do so anyway under the pretense that it doesn't hurt to try?

I'd like to not misrepresent the community.
RE: Can one be Atheist and Superstitious?
One can be atheist and religious.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(August 23, 2014 at 12:29 am)Polaris Wrote: One can be atheist and religious.

GB, I think you represent how 90% of us are.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Superstitions and magical thinking aren't unique to the religious, they're human things. Hell, they're how religions began, really. There's nothing to stop an atheist from falling victim to those same cognitive errors even if they've rejected them where it concerns religion.

Some of it is probably cultural too. I still say "wish me luck," and stuff like that, but to me they're just expressions that denote a desire for positive thinking. I don't think it'll actually do something on its own, it's just a sort of convenient shorthand.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
You can do whatever you want being an atheist, there is no law, or dogma, just simply no beliefs in any gods. If we don't keep it simple it will in time become the next religion.
(August 23, 2014 at 2:10 am)psychoslice Wrote: You can do whatever you want being an atheist, there is no law, or dogma, just simply no beliefs in any gods. If we don't keep it simple it will in time become the next religion.

You mean our belief in non belief will turn into a religion.
Psycho, time to top up those meds, matey....
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
What?!!!
[Image: whaaat2-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
And you make such a claim based on?….
(August 23, 2014 at 2:22 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(August 23, 2014 at 2:10 am)psychoslice Wrote: You can do whatever you want being an atheist, there is no law, or dogma, just simply no beliefs in any gods. If we don't keep it simple it will in time become the next religion.

You mean our belief in non belief will turn into a religion.
Psycho, time to top up those meds, matey....

You are no the spokesperson for atheist, so how would you know ?.

Oh, and you can sit on that thumb for all I care, you probably enjoy it lol.
(August 23, 2014 at 2:42 am)Zidneya Wrote:
What?!!!
[Image: whaaat2-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
And you make such a claim based on?….

Eastern religions (it depends on your definition of what religion is)
There are lots of supernatural things you can believe in, without believing in some creator diety that wants to have a personal relationship with you, or demands your constant servitude.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 1112 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2729 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9684 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7041 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can you persuade me from Agnostic to Atheist? AgnosticMan123 160 25411 June 6, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? athrock 287 41429 February 22, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9524 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2357 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  The One Thing the Atheist Misunderstands Sonny 255 38407 December 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I am now one seriously conflicted Atheist.. Help??? LostDays 47 9752 November 6, 2014 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Whateverist