Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should theists announce their beliefs?
Should theists announce their beliefs?
I'd like to get people's views on this. If someone announces they believe in a god, it would be useful to know whether they're a christian, or a muslim or something else, and which sect. I replied to someone on a thread who said I had to obey God's commandments, and I didn't know which ones; it could have been no work on the Sabbath, don't shave, blow up infidels or wear a turban. Putting the information out there would help, and surely they aren't shy about it?

And I don't mind if that applies to atheists and agnostics too, although I'm not sure it's necessary, but in the interests of fairness if the theists wanted more information about the fact that god doesn't exist, I'd be happy to supply it, if I could think of something.

Nothing obligatory, mind; they should choose whether to or not.
RE: Should theists announce their beliefs?
We have the religious views for that. Besides, every believer has it's own version of what god is and what his religion stands for. I worship boobs neeener neener Big Grin
How about this - if there's something you want to know, ask politely.
I agree. I think it'd be helpful sometimes. Yes we all ask, but it'd be easier and save a lot of time if everyone played ball and declared their position. Same with everyone... If you're a humanist, relativist, boobist ...
(September 7, 2014 at 3:49 pm)LastPoet Wrote: We have the religious views for that. Besides, every believer has it's own version of what god is and what his religion stands for. I worship boobs neeener neener Big Grin

Boobs have the advantage of being real....or enhanced.
If a person brings up religion and I haven't figured out just what religion they are talking about, I simply ask. Often their particular sect doesn't seem to matter. My experience has been that most believers, particularly those in the US, are not that uncomfortable with people who follow a different religion, who believe in a "different" god. (Always a strange one to me since all sects of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam profess the same "god of Abraham". Most of the religious violence in the world today is a family squabble.) They may debate with a "New Age Spiritualist" or Hindu, but they will not be offended or angry.

But they will get cranked up when facing a person who has rejected god belief. Often, if religion comes up in a casual setting, the assumption will be that I am a believer of some kind, and probably a Christian. (Since I am a middle aged white guy and an American.) When it comes up that I am a bit of an outspoken atheist, one can almost see the gears strip as they try to catch up with the new direction the conversation is likely to go. It is kind of fun to watch. But, unlike their conversations with "other" religious people, the fact that I am not religious is something they will not be able to accept with any kind of grace.

Then let the games begin.
(September 7, 2014 at 8:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(September 7, 2014 at 3:49 pm)LastPoet Wrote: We have the religious views for that. Besides, every believer has it's own version of what god is and what his religion stands for. I worship boobs neeener neener Big Grin

Boobs have the advantage of being real....or enhanced.

Nothing worse than obviously fake boobs.
Dying to live, living to die.
No boobs are worse than fake boobs.
(September 7, 2014 at 8:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No boobs are worse than fake boobs.

everyone has boobs.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(September 7, 2014 at 8:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No boobs are worse than fake boobs.

everyone has boobs.

Tongue

I beg your pardon. I have *moobs*.