Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio's antiscience bill unimproved
Ohio's antiscience bill unimproved
Quote:Ohio's House Bill 597 is still a threat to the integrity of science education in the Buckeye State, NCSE's Glenn Branch told Ohio Public Radio (September 8, 2014).

As NCSE previously reported, a provision requiring the state's science standards to "prohibit political or religious interpretation of scientific facts in favor of another" was removed by the House Rules and Reference Committee, only to be replaced by a provision requiring students to "review, in an objective manner, the scientific strengths and weaknesses of existing scientific theories."

Such "strengths and weaknesses" language, Branch explained, is invariably selectively applied to evolution, climate change, and similarly socially — but not scientifically — controversial topics. "You're surely not going to see the scientific strengths and weaknesses of osmosis or photosynthesis being presented under the provision of the bill should it pass," he commented.

Source

Sigh...the ID/creationists just continue to make their tactics more sneaky. Also, how can students review scientific theories in an objective manner if they are not taught about the scientific method?
RE: Ohio's antiscience bill unimproved
That's because they are all scum.
(September 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm)Dolorian Wrote:
Quote:Ohio's House Bill 597 is still a threat to the integrity of science education in the Buckeye State, NCSE's Glenn Branch told Ohio Public Radio (September 8, 2014).

As NCSE previously reported, a provision requiring the state's science standards to "prohibit political or religious interpretation of scientific facts in favor of another" was removed by the House Rules and Reference Committee, only to be replaced by a provision requiring students to "review, in an objective manner, the scientific strengths and weaknesses of existing scientific theories."

Such "strengths and weaknesses" language, Branch explained, is invariably selectively applied to evolution, climate change, and similarly socially — but not scientifically — controversial topics. "You're surely not going to see the scientific strengths and weaknesses of osmosis or photosynthesis being presented under the provision of the bill should it pass," he commented.

Source

Sigh...the ID/creationists just continue to make their tactics more sneaky. Also, how can students review scientific theories in an objective manner if they are not taught about the scientific method?

Ohio should have a lot of fun falling behind the rest of the world in educational standards in order to appease an invisible god who they fear will send them to hell if they do too much book larnin.

Devil
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
(September 9, 2014 at 9:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That's because they are all scum.

Creationists are universally ignorant, dishonest, and/or utter frauds.
Dying to live, living to die.
Damn it all
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Honestly, this (without ulterior motives) is how science is done. Evaluate the evidence on its own merit.

Too bad the ulterior motives might spoil what should be a good thing.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote:Evaluate the evidence on its own merit.

That is NOT what these jesus freak fuckheads have in mind.
(September 9, 2014 at 9:18 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote:
(September 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm)Dolorian Wrote: Source

Ohio should have a lot of fun falling behind the rest of the world in educational standards in order to appease an invisible god who they fear will send them to hell if they do too much book larnin.

Devil

As part of the United States, Ohio's educational standard is already behind the rest of the world.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bill Nye vs Isaac Newton hobie 1 913 June 25, 2014 at 8:39 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  The whole Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate Boris Karloff 26 6452 January 26, 2014 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Republicans Introduces Bill To Require Political Approval Of Scientific Papers Gooders1002 18 6408 May 7, 2013 at 6:11 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  A, O, Oh way to go, Ohio Epimethean 16 2803 October 9, 2011 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  Bill O'Reilly punks Richard Dawkins A Theist 45 28894 October 8, 2011 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Captain Scarlet