Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with Religious Family Members
Dealing with Religious Family Members
Hi! New here. I've been an atheist for a long time now. My family is cool with it, most of then are agnostic or ex-Catholic, some are Buddhist now - they're all open minded people, so we all talk openly about theology, etc. It's pretty awesome. Anyway, my sister lives here in FL with me, away from most of our other family, so we are each other's family here . I hang out with her often and we're close. She is marrying into an EXTREMELY religious Christian family, and I know some of them do not like the fact that I'm an atheist. I have no problem with that, I'm pretty non confrontational and don't really care what they think. The mother in law is like, attached at the hip to her family, her sons and now my sister, since she is marrying one of this lady's sons. She's a very sweet lady, has never been anything but nice to me, and doesn't talk about my lack of faith in front of me. We get along and I have to see her a lot because she seems to always be around. No problem there. In her house, if we have dinner that she cooks she does the prayer before eating thing, and I hold hands with them, don't pray, just showing respect as I'm in her house. Anyway, we were at a mall food court and she wanted to do the same. In public, that makes me feel uncomfortable and I don't think I have an obligation to hold hands and play along when I'm not in her house. How to I tell her this without offending her? How do I make her understand that I find it inappropriate to do religious things I public, especially when she knows I'm against those things personally? Don't want to make it awkward for us or for my sister, but want to make sure I assert that my disbelief is as important to my identity as her belief. Thanks for any advice and thoughts! - Lisa
RE: Dealing with Religious Family Members
Welcome, Lisa Smile

Have you asked your sister what she thinks?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I've talked to her about it and she is kind of caught in the middle, she feels uncomfortable about how overt they are with their religion, fully knowing myself and others on her side of the family have differing views. She also is a Christian herself now, and of course respects them and obviously doesn't want to rock the boat, you know. She doesn't really know how to approach the problem either, is what I'm getting at. Just trying to get some perspectives on how to be respectful, while also asserting a right to be respected as well.
Welcome

Many christians make public displays of tradition (prayer etc.) as a means of bolstering their own weakening faith. Oftentimes, overtly demonstrative behaviors reflect some form of insecurity. I'm not saying that's the case for your situation, but it may be worth considering in making your decision on how to best handle the matter moving forward. Wink
How about talk to the MIL in private, and ask her something like, "would you mind terribly respecting my lack of belief when we're in public as I'm respectful of your belief when we're in private?" And then maybe talk to her about it making you uncomfortable. Use lots of "I"s instead of "you"s too.

A good friend of mine has parents who like to say grace at every meal, even in public, and I basically did the above. They barely even flinched and never suggested I pray with them again. Our relationship actually changed for the better a little.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(September 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm)Geekyalbatross Wrote: In public, that makes me feel uncomfortable and I don't think I have an obligation to hold hands and play along when I'm not in her house. How to I tell her this without offending her? How do I make her understand that I find it inappropriate to do religious things I public, especially when she knows I'm against those things personally? Don't want to make it awkward for us or for my sister, but want to make sure I assert that my disbelief is as important to my identity as her belief. Thanks for any advice and thoughts! - Lisa

I'm guessing that since you are non-confrontational, any conversations about it would be uncomfortable as well. Here are a few tips that might work.

1. Start eating as soon as the food comes.
2. If its an option, take on the responsibility of serving food to the rest of the group - this gives you something to do while they finish their prayers.
3. While you are waiting for food, get your hands messy - like putting ketchup on your plate and licking it off your fingers. That should get you out of any hand-holding.
4. Excuse yourself to go wash your hands when you see them getting ready to pray.
5. Develop your own obsessive pre-meal ritual - rearranging forks and spoons, fiddling with the napkin etc.
6. If possible, indicate that you are quite hungry and can't wait to get started - like saying "what's taking so long" or "finally". In that case delaying the eating for prayer would be rude.

I'd suggest trying one or more of these things on a regular basis until the message gets across that you are just not that into prayer. If anyone tries to push it despite that, try saying "No thanks" casually, as if you were refusing salt.
If folks want their faiths 'respected', they need to be respectful of other beliefs or non-beliefs.

(However, I FULLY expect those who are truly FAITHFUL to be totally intolerant asshats about other faiths)

(yeppers, the religious folks always be fucking up in my view, no matter what they be doing)
My duaghter has this one down pat.

Her grandfather asks "Who would like to say grace"
-She says "GRACE!" and immediately shoves her hand into her mashed potatos. All parties satisfied, amiright?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think you should just be open and explain why you don't what to do it, explain that you are not trying to be rude, you just don't share the same beliefs.

I am Christian and if someone said this to me I would understand and apologise for making you feel like you had to take part.

Lol I love the idea of just yelling "Grace"! That made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the advice, especially using the "I" instead of "You" - that makes a lot of sense. Next time I see her I'll take her aside and have a conversation. I have no doubt there is a part of her that believes she is right and I'm wrong, but she's a kind enough person that I think she'll at least keep that to herself and be accommodating. It's a weird situation for me because by circumstance and by choice I'm generally surrounded by like minded or free thinking people, and encountering this kind of rabid faith is always a little disconcerting. It's like going back in time .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1835 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2396 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5416 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3170 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4336 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  Responsibility transfer for atheists - dealing with uncertainty Catma 14 3923 November 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Catma
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2812 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my family? CloverGrace 10 2064 August 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12774 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus