Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:02 am

Poll: Do you believe in good and evil?
This poll is closed.
Absolutley
34.62%
9 34.62%
Somewhat
15.38%
4 15.38%
Not At All
42.31%
11 42.31%
Not Sure
7.69%
2 7.69%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you believe in good and evil?
Do you believe in good and evil?
I've been thinking about this lately. The main reason I became an atheist is because I saw the disgusting inhumanity in the Bible. I thought the actions of Yahweh and the Hebrews to be barbaric, cruel, and all-around evil. But, I've thinking to myself recently, is that because of something basically built into me,(empathy) or is it because we don't (or at least should) see the kind of behavior as portrayed in the Bible as cruel and brutish due to our norms of morality today? After all, there have been plenty of societies throughout human history that viewed behavior that we see to be cruel as perfectly acceptable. So what I'm asking is, do you believe the concepts of good and evil to be universal truths, or just ideas that can vary from culture to culture or society to society?
RE: Do you believe in good and evil?
Evil is the extreme end of cruelty for cruelty's sake. Annoying your 10 year old brother is cruel, but fun--probably not evil. Punishing people for eternity, or exterminating a race of people is evil. Somewhere closer on the scale to annoying your brother than punishing people for eternity is wrong, but not evil.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
The question is too vague. Believe in... means what here? Define good and evil
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Good and bad is just something we measure our pain with, its no more than that.
The Hebrews were practically saintly compared to the people who lived around them, who engaged in human sacrifices, wild sex orgies, rampant homosexuality and pedophilia, and all the other evils that caused God to destroy Sodom and Gamorrah.

I know that is not an explanation that will satisfy atheists, who demand that all people in all historical periods act like perfectly civilized 21st century Americans.

After all, we are so far superior to the Hebrews, since all we do is send drones to kill people at long range so we don't have to do the killing up close and personal, getting our hands dirty.

Therefore, we have the right to sit in judgment over the Hebrews, and condemn them, even though they were fighting the same kind of craziness we are currently fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
None of the poll answers really match my beliefs.

I don't believe that good and evil exist objectively. I believe they "exist" in our subjective evaluations of actions. So, saying "something is good" or "something is evil" is easy short hand for "I believe something is good/evil".

Edit: I guess "somewhat" is a close enough match, so I'll vote for that.
(October 1, 2014 at 2:50 am)Blackrook Wrote: The Hebrews were practically saintly compared to the people who lived around them, who engaged in human sacrifices, wild sex orgies, rampant homosexuality and pedophilia, and all the other evils that caused God to destroy Sodom and Gamorrah.

I know that is not an explanation that will satisfy atheists, who demand that all people in all historical periods act like perfectly civilized 21st century Americans.
I would expect that a tribe of people led by the actual god of the universe would have behaved in a consistent manner from the very beginning and not have had to conform to cultural or societal values at any time. Or did I miss the part where Jews or Christians today keep slaves or stone adulterers and gays?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(October 1, 2014 at 2:50 am)Blackrook Wrote: The Hebrews were practically saintly compared to the people who lived around them, who engaged in human sacrifices, wild sex orgies, rampant homosexuality and pedophilia, and all the other evils that caused God to destroy Sodom and Gamorrah.

After all, we are so far superior to the Hebrews, since all we do is send drones to kill people at long range so we don't have to do the killing up close and personal, getting our hands dirty.

Therefore, we have the right to sit in judgment over the Hebrews, and condemn them, even though they were fighting the same kind of craziness we are currently fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

You're quite right about the Hebrews being a product of their times. BUT GOD was right there with them egging them on, aiding and abetting the killing and often stepping in to do the smiting himself. Not to mention "giving" his chosen people land that belonged to other people.

Speaking of Sodom and Gomorrah, did you notice that the one "good man" God agreed to save offered his virgin daughter to a crowd of neighbors just so he wouldn't have to fight to defend his guests from rape. Lovely father, Lot. Undecided Of course the daughter weren't so great either because after they escape Sodom and Gomorrah, they get Lot drunk just so they can have sex with him. They did it twice, once for each girl.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(October 1, 2014 at 2:50 am)Blackrook Wrote: ...who demand that all people in all historical periods act like perfectly civilized 21st century Americans.
The USA is a society in decline suffering from rampant fornication, materialism, celebrity idolization, and Earth worship. We are hardly a model civilization.

I'm not sure why we wouldn't count slaughtering entire towns because god said so human sacrifices, or saying that keeping young virgin girls for fucking isn't pedophilia. I don't see anything wrong with orgies or homosexuality, as long as they were all consenting adults.

Part of the problem with the bible is that Yahweh's opinion of right and wrong seems to be dictated by current Human culture, rather than dictated by what is actually best for the overall Human species.

Given how Yahweh states that anyone who doesn't follow him needs to die, what does he care if surrounding tribes kill each other anyway?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5285 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 453168 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2395 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8172 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1992 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13550 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4095 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3493 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is religion a necessary evil? purplepurpose 35 5195 November 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Guys do you believe Howard Storm's NDE? arda101 208 54984 March 6, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman