Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fusion Breakthrough?
Fusion Breakthrough?
Or just more bullshit?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...on-energy/

Quote:WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready in a decade.

A major breakthrough if real.
RE: Fusion Breakthrough?
I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm kind of in the same boat, Chuck. I remember the "cold fusion" scam of some years ago.

Still, it would be a major advance if true.
So we are gonna have better, portable nukes within the decade? Great
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

7x10 ft ??? That seems too good to be true.
I've seen some of the early hype for fission based electricity and the phrase "too cheap to meter" was used frequently.

Still, Lockheed/Martin carries a little more gravitas than some guy in his garage claiming perpetual motion.

I remember being at work when cold-fusion was hot news, and till the bad news was apparent, it looked like a fantastic development.

Polywater and N-rays were a couple of other sputters.
Quote:Still, Lockheed/Martin carries a little more gravitas than some guy in his garage claiming perpetual motion.

Yeah because corporations never lie.
I don't trust people who'll own this
The Av Week article seems most detailed of what's out now. Lockheed is claiming a factor of 10 improvement over a break even tokamak device.

(the numbers in the article were more optimistic for some reason)

That they seem to have some actual theoretical science (beyond wishful thinking) that implies a significant improvement over an existing device of known characteristics is encouraging, the 'however' is that in my view they are premature by 5 years and 1 day in making their announcement.
Of course I hope that it's real, but there is so much BS in that article that I have my doubts. For example
Quote:U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers run on nuclear power, but they have large fusion reactors on board that have to be replaced on a regular cycle

Everything is wrong in this sentence.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fusion? Minimalist 32 7278 April 16, 2016 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah