Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello there
Hello there
Mornin'

I'm Alex, I'm sure I'll be pleased to meet you all.

I'm a political activist from the UK, and I'm currently studying (well, I should currently be studying) in school. But, you see, I'm a pupil at a Catholic school and so things aren't exactly excellent. However, I am attempting to move to a non-religious school.

I suppose I should talk about what I believe and how I came to believe what I do. I shall try and keep it short, if you want to know more then feel free to ask.

I've always been taught that God existed, and at first I accepted what I was told as the truth. But a year or so later (when I was around 8) I couldn't see the sense in religion. To me, the world worked perfectly fine without a divine being, God just overcomplicated things and forced me to sit through really long and boring church services. I didn't weigh up the different arguments supporting and opposing religion and god (I was a little too young to), I just chose to think for myself and decided that a world without a god made far more sense to me than a world with a god. I think I decided to identify as an atheist at the age of 11.

The things I learnt in the following years just backed up this initial decision. I saw Christians denying themselves pleasures in life for something they hoped existed when they died, and I hated it. People were trying to make me do downright silly things all in the name of some false idol, and I just wanted to be free from it. Then I started questioning my sexuality, and I was subject to slander just because I was attracted to members of the same sex. I couldn't help it - and surely it's worse to deny yourself and instead everything because of something that isn't even there. I also learnt a bit about evolution, which seemed far more logical to me than creation.

After that I didn't put up with religion anymore. Every week when I should've been in church at school, I went to a wooded area next to the school and smoked. I'd go into school (a lot of the times rather high Tongue) and argue in religious education classes. I got into trouble for it, but I don't care.

So yeah, that summary was longer than I'd initially intended, but I can't be bothered going back to edit. I'd say I'm an atheist, and maybe there's a smidge of nihilism thrown in there for good measure.

Again, feel free to ask whatever you like, I'll try to answer.
I thought I was the Nietschean superman, then I fell off my chair.
RE: Hello there
Welcome along. And yes, I'd say you were an atheist as well Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome along and I'm sure you'll feel at home here.
Morning Alex!

A child genius! And a political activist! (that means gobby right? Wink) I love Catholics School people... they know what they're rebelling against (even tho' it isn't real Tongue haha!)

Welcome!
Hi Alex, welcome to AF just watch out for fr0d0, he'll give you enough hell to make you wish you were back at school being picked on.
Only jokin' fr0baby, why didn't you respond to my inquiry about your point of view(s), and the way they're determined by what you think?
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
Welcome to the AF Alex, I am sure you will find some very interesting people and discussions here to keep you busy.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Welcome Nova,

I wasn't as fortunate as you were. I bought into everything my parents told me and tried to conform to what they wanted from me. I have since figured out that they have barely a clue as to how to proceed in life, so I have rebuilt my goal seeking methods from the ground up.

Rhizo
Hello, Alex.
(February 3, 2010 at 8:47 am)TruthWorthy Wrote: Only jokin' fr0baby, why didn't you respond to my inquiry about your point of view(s), and the way they're determined by what you think?

No problem ...Baby! Big Grin

Like I said I had nothing to say *shrugs*
Welcome Nova to the forums.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello there! ShinyCrystals 15 1210 September 1, 2023 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: galaxycliffnix
  Hello there! R-Farmer 32 2436 June 10, 2023 at 8:41 am
Last Post: R-Farmer
Big Grin Hello there! vytautas 14 1022 August 22, 2020 at 4:42 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  [Serious] Hello there! Fellow atheist here! ThinkingIsThinking 48 5327 December 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hello there EarnieBanks 5 849 May 18, 2019 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Hello there! Aliza 51 12162 July 21, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Hello there! YouOnlyLiveTwice 12 2276 July 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hello there Mr.Obvious 32 6649 May 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hello there, I am new here. SuperSentient 18 3768 March 4, 2017 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Seraphina
  Hello There! Just One More Irreligious Brat who Fell Out of Their Religion MrNoTheism 11 1640 October 31, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas