Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i wonder...
i wonder...
is reality just to much for theists that they would do anything to defend a god and want to feel special... its not really all worth... its depressing to be so willing fully ignorant towards scientific progress and the understanding of our universe. whats more depressing is that a mind set like religion has to many people under its control too. its fine to have a religion but not to believe in 100% just enjoy the stories. i don't know anymore...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: i wonder...
Indoctrination of kids since young age makes their world view inacurate and inconsistent. Later on it's really hard for some of them to break out of this madness. And usually nobody teaches them that thinking for yourself is good.

What makes me really sad is that some religious people live only to get the final reward of eternal life. They don't really care about this life they have now. For them it's just a temporary state, so they don't live the life to the fullest... they make decisions they would never make if they realised the facts.

That's my rant Tongue
When you grow up believing that everything of this world is evil, then you have a hard time believing people when they say it isn't. Fear of death is a big one for most people, so they want to believe they'll go on after death. That combined with the fear of burning to death for eternity will keep many in line.

On the more moderate to liberal theist side, there are those who were just brought up on the nice parts, and don't bother people who don't fall in line. Those would most likely be good people with or without theism, so they're much more tolerable and probably the least likely to leave the faith because they're not bothering other people with their beliefs.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 26, 2014 at 1:05 pm)Chad32 Wrote: When you grow up believing that everything of this world is evil, then you have a hard time believing people when they say it isn't. Fear of death is a big one for most people, so they want to believe they'll go on after death. That combined with the fear of burning to death for eternity will keep many in line.

On the more moderate to liberal theist side, there are those who were just brought up on the nice parts, and don't bother people who don't fall in line. Those would most likely be good people with or without theism, so they're much more tolerable and probably the least likely to leave the faith because they're not bothering other people with their beliefs.

the fear is a driving force behind religion and it causes people to do horrible things...
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Religion is born from ignorance, and when your head has been filled with ignorance and false information, it's hard to fill it with anything else. But the main thing I see with many really educated and otherwise intelligent people clinging to religion, is because they associate it with their identity. When someone says something about your favorite sports team, you'll get defensive, similarly to them breaking away from religion is like losing their own self.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 26, 2014 at 1:09 am)dyresand Wrote: is reality just to much for theists that they would do anything to defend a god and want to feel special... its not really all worth... its depressing to be so willing fully ignorant towards scientific progress and the understanding of our universe. whats more depressing is that a mind set like religion has to many people under its control too. its fine to have a religion but not to believe in 100% just enjoy the stories. i don't know anymore...

Well, to be honest, only certain breeds of evangelicals really bath in ignorance and claim to follow the letter of the bible.

They don't anyway, since they are cherry picking like every other christian. Otherwise they wouldn't cut their beards, wear clothes of different fabrics or eat shrimp. These are considered abominations by the bible, very much like the man shouldn't lie with mankind on which their hatred for gays is based.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 26, 2014 at 1:09 am)dyresand Wrote: is reality just to much for theists that they would do anything to defend a god and want to feel special... its not really all worth... its depressing to be so willing fully ignorant towards scientific progress and the understanding of our universe. whats more depressing is that a mind set like religion has to many people under its control too. its fine to have a religion but not to believe in 100% just enjoy the stories. i don't know anymore...

Many of them are rather nondepressed, after all: ignorance can help bliss right along until they die.

Is there something wrong with believing 100% in something? One may be a fool to do so, but they will be a happy fool until their confidence is to jeopardy brought.

I'll take Abject of Faith for 500.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LOL, wonder if that was a mistake? vorlon13 11 1673 November 11, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  The Wonder of Reality PhilosophicalZebra 54 9024 May 2, 2015 at 10:10 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Would a story like this shock anyone I wonder? robvalue 25 4761 September 2, 2014 at 1:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Do you ever wonder if the christians are right? Jextin 46 5283 July 9, 2014 at 9:28 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Makes me wonder tor 34 5966 April 2, 2014 at 7:20 am
Last Post: archangle
  Do atheists lack a sense of awe and wonder? (Doubt it.) Whateverist 33 7460 January 20, 2014 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Alex K