Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voter ID laws and Marriage
Voter ID laws and Marriage
I often hear from the left that voter ID laws disenfranchise certain people who have difficulty obtaining IDs. Usually its minorities and elderly. A friend of mine complains vehemently about it.....how peoples rights are restricted and such and such.

Well if that is the case why don't the far lefties complain about ID requirements to obtain a marriage license? Marriage is a right too.....isn't it?
RE: Voter ID laws and Marriage
Well I have no idea where you live, but where I live and voting is mandatory, identification is certainly NOT required to cast your vote.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(November 1, 2014 at 9:19 am)Heywood Wrote: I often hear from the left that voter ID laws disenfranchise certain people who have difficulty obtaining IDs. Usually its minorities and elderly. A friend of mine complains vehemently about it.....how peoples rights are restricted and such and such.

Well if that is the case why don't the far lefties complain about ID requirements to obtain a marriage license? Marriage is a right too.....isn't it?

Because we like to stop people marrying to too closely related people.

Like your parents did.

Sorry..... its like you bent over with a "kick me" sign on you there.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 1, 2014 at 10:09 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Because we like to stop people marrying to too closely related people.

The purpose of Voter ID laws is to stop people who don't have a right to vote...from voting. Or to stop people who already voted...from voting again. Or stop someone from voting under another name.

It seems to me that if you are against voter ID laws....presumably because minorities and elderly people have a difficult time obtaining IDs, then you should also be against IDs to get marriage licenses for the exact same reason.

The far left and DownBeatplumb don't really care about peoples rights. They care about demonizing the right and/or perhaps even making voter fraud easier because they believe it benefits them more than the right. Its despicable behavior they engage in.
We live in the U.S., where it is decidedly not mandatory, and this Voter ID thing has become contentious.

I'm not elderly, but I am severely physically disabled, and I absolutely support the idea of the law. Seems like a good way to protect against fraud.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Right, and so if you make producing ID mandatory then how do your homeless people cast their votes?

It's already difficult enough for the homeless to exercise their right to vote, see this document. Those who do vote typically register a local church or other community organisation as their address. As noted in the policy document, the homeless have a right to vote and are required to vote. Also, the High Court has determined that no one can be denied their right to vote.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
The original idea of 'democracy' in this country was that only propertied white males could vote.

What the republicunts call "the good old days."
(November 1, 2014 at 9:19 am)Heywood Wrote: I often hear from the left that voter ID laws disenfranchise certain people who have difficulty obtaining IDs. Usually its minorities and elderly. A friend of mine complains vehemently about it.....how peoples rights are restricted and such and such.

First of all voting is the right from which all other rights and interests flow. If minorities or the elderly felt that marriage license laws were overly burdensome, they would have little if any voice in changing that burden without the right to vote.

Next there are considerations of time frame and customary expectation. Production of a birth certificate, and other documentation such as marriage certificates and divorce decrees, not to mention death certificates for former spouses are all traditionally expected when applying for a marriage license. And they are documents most people have whether they drive or not.

Nor is there a marriage deadline that you can miss after which you don't get to marry, though for people who worry about children born out of wedlock there may be a non-legal deadline. Should you not bring the proper documentation the first time, you can go home and collect it even if that requires a calling county clerks offices in other states. Not so voting. If you don't have the proper ID on the day of election you are SOL for that election. Ditto registering for the election.

Finally, while I have heard complaints from voters disenfranchised by ID laws, I've yet to hear complaints from persons unable to wed because of ID laws.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(November 1, 2014 at 10:35 am)Heywood Wrote: [quote='downbeatplumb' pid='787440' dateline='1414850995']

The far left and DownBeatplumb don't really care about peoples rights. They care about demonizing the right and/or perhaps even making voter fraud easier because they believe it benefits them more than the right. Its despicable behavior they engage in.

Wow I made a light hearted joke at your expense and suddenly I "demonize the right and make voter fraud easier". Its amazing how the far right, such as Heywood are so very touchy.

Turn them down for a spot at art college and suddenly 100 million dead.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'm all for voter ID laws as long as the burden is on the government bureaucracy to insure that everyone gets an ID in a timely fashion, and that the requirement not be enforced until everyone's got an ID.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1007 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1157 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 525 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Pro voter tips. Gawdzilla Sama 0 164 October 21, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  US Voter Fraud Is Real! BrianSoddingBoru4 5 501 July 15, 2020 at 9:47 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1584 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1548 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
  Why Red Flag Laws Won't Work. onlinebiker 203 10347 August 26, 2019 at 4:09 pm
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1149 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I'm a Florida voter now :huh: rexbeccarox 32 2913 August 31, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist