Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Studying atheism
Studying atheism
Hi, i joined the group because i am studying atheism. I need to interview a few atheists and I hope i can correspond via email to you who are kind enough to help me. My email add is <removed>
Thank you Smile
RE: Studying atheism
Oh, is it that time of year again...

This is a forum, why not post your contribution publicly? Also, are you sure you want to post your email address (apparently with your real name in verbatim) in a random forum like this?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm not sure how you can study atheism. We're just people who lack a belief in gods. I guess you could study secularism, but that isn't strictly atheistic. Not all religious people dream of living in a theocracy. I suppose you have some kind of questionnaire?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Hi Skygirl, Welcome from the UK.

As you can see from the mod-edit, if you're only planning to solicit data from us, that's not allowed by the site rules. Many of us may be willing to talk to you, myself included, but you'd need to start threads with your specific questions. Otherwise you can probably get a lot of what you want by simply reviewing the boards.

However, if you're planning to stay a while, get involved, may I offer you some tea?

[Image: tea-biscuits-001.jpg]

Hope to see you on the site.
Sum ergo sum
What's to study about atheism? Atheism isn't what defines us, it's just the absence of belief in any kind of sky daddy.

Also I would like to know what that study of yours is all about? Who's calling the shots and what's done with the data? What methods do you use?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 17, 2014 at 8:56 am)abaris Wrote: What's to study about atheism? Atheism isn't what defines us, it's just the absence of belief in any kind of sky daddy.

Also I would like to know what that study of yours is all about? Who's calling the shots and what's done with the data? What methods do you use?

There are many schools and christian colleges around who give this assignment every year, this must be the zillionth post of that kind. Often, there are the same dozen survey questions, how do you get your morality, what do you think is the purpose of life, yadda yadda.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 17, 2014 at 9:03 am)Alex K Wrote: There are many schools and christian colleges around who give this assignment every year, this must be the zillionth post of that kind. Often, there are the same dozen survey questions, how do you get your morality, what do you think is the purpose of life, yadda yadda.

That's why I'm asking. I'm interested in where this is coming from. Can't be anything serious by the fact alone that interviewing a "few atheists" is believed to be sufficient to get some kind of realistic picture.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 17, 2014 at 7:16 am)Skygirl Wrote: Hi, i joined the group because i am studying atheism. I need to interview a few atheists and I hope i can correspond via email to you who are kind enough to help me. My email add is <removed>
Thank you Smile

A little advice. Not a good idea on any board no matter the side you are on, to post e mails in your first post. No one is going to ban you off the bat, but we see this all the time and it throws up red flags.

Whatever you want to debate, you can do here in the open. Atheists are not lost sheep or pets for you to pick off like a antelope calf in a herd.

But if you are really interested, start by accepting this.

"Atheist" is not a club, or moral code. It is merely "off" on the issue of all god claims. It is not a political party, it is not a religion, it is not a loyalty oath. It merely means "off", on god claims.

Atheists come from all backgrounds and classes. We are diverse in our education levels and economic views, and there are atheists in every nation in the world to bigger or lesser degrees. We are your neighbors, co workers, friends and even family. We are no different than believers other than not holding a god belief. We have the same ups and downs in life, and feel the same joy and pain. We simply do not assign any of that to any god by any name, not just yours.
(November 17, 2014 at 9:03 am)Alex K Wrote:
(November 17, 2014 at 8:56 am)abaris Wrote: What's to study about atheism? Atheism isn't what defines us, it's just the absence of belief in any kind of sky daddy.

There are many schools and christian colleges around who give this assignment every year, this must be the zillionth post of that kind. Often, there are the same dozen survey questions, how do you get your morality, what do you think is the purpose of life, yadda yadda.

That's what I'm afraid of. That it's going to be the same common questions that should be basic knowledge to anyone.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 17, 2014 at 7:16 am)Skygirl Wrote: Hi, i joined the group because i am studying atheism. I need to interview a few atheists and I hope i can correspond via email to you who are kind enough to help me. My email add is <removed>
Thank you Smile

Well if nothing else it's refreshing to see someone who believes in god wanting to study atheism, although I am a little curious as to exactly how disinterested this study might actually be.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)