Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 2:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i have a question [Atheist only]
i have a question [Atheist only]
why is it that some people are still flat-earthers didn't that kind of die out or people taking the teachings of the bible to literal because we go into space we have photos of earth and none of them showing it is flat well in a since it is flat because those pictures are 2d. but why do people believe in a flat earth?
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: i have a question [Atheist only]
Because they are bat shit crazy?

Quote: [After the launch] of the first artificial satellite; when satellite images showed Earth as a sphere, the society was undaunted; Shenton remarked: "It's easy to see how a photograph like that could fool the untrained eye."

The society also claimed that the Apollo Moon landings were a hoax staged by Hollywood, a position also held by others not connected to the Flat Earth Society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat..._societies

Basically, it's one big conspiracy theory in which NASA and the UN are trying hide the Biblical "truth" that the world is flat:

Quote:The Flat Earth Society's most recent world model is that humanity lives on a disc, with the North Pole at its center and a 150-foot (45 m) high wall of ice at the outer edge. The resulting map resembles the symbol of the United Nations, which Johnson used as evidence for his position. In this model, the sun and moon are each 32 miles (52 km) in diameter.

Flat Earth Society recruited members by attacking the U. S. government and all its agencies, particularly NASA. Much of the society’s literature in its early days focused on interpreting the Bible literally to mean that the Earth is flat, although they did try to offer scientific explanations and evidence.

Why anyone would want to prove the earth is global when it is actually flat is less clear---just plain old atheistic malevolence I guess.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(November 19, 2014 at 11:37 am)Jenny A Wrote: Because they are bat shit crazy?

Quote: [After the launch] of the first artificial satellite; when satellite images showed Earth as a sphere, the society was undaunted; Shenton remarked: "It's easy to see how a photograph like that could fool the untrained eye."

The society also claimed that the Apollo Moon landings were a hoax staged by Hollywood, a position also held by others not connected to the Flat Earth Society.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat..._societies

Basically, it's one big conspiracy theory in which NASA and the UN are trying hide the Biblical "truth" that the world is flat:

Quote:The Flat Earth Society's most recent world model is that humanity lives on a disc, with the North Pole at its center and a 150-foot (45 m) high wall of ice at the outer edge. The resulting map resembles the symbol of the United Nations, which Johnson used as evidence for his position. In this model, the sun and moon are each 32 miles (52 km) in diameter.

Flat Earth Society recruited members by attacking the U. S. government and all its agencies, particularly NASA. Much of the society’s literature in its early days focused on interpreting the Bible literally to mean that the Earth is flat, although they did try to offer scientific explanations and evidence.

Why anyone would want to prove the earth is global when it is actually flat is less clear---just plain old atheistic malevolence I guess.

if they believe that they need to find the edge of the world and jump off of it.
[Image: facepalm_homer.jpg]

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
You know, it really baffles me. I can't imagine the level of stupidity it would take to persistently claim the world is flat contrary to everything we know.

I have heard before the saying, "If reality contradicts the bible, then it is reality that is wrong." That's about the size of it. They don't want to live in the real world, they want to live in the bible.

The idea of heaven being "above" and hell "below" only makes sense if you think of the Earth as flat, as the primitive people writing the bible obviously did. So they're probably trying to retain that delusion too.

But then again, trying to deny evolution is only slightly less stupid than that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I read that Wiki article for the first time today.

I was depressed to learn that Thomas Dolby became the first member inducted in 2001, when they started accepting new membership again.
Then I became relived to learn it was an "involuntary" induction on their part, and only because one of Dolby's albums was called, The Flat Earth.

Must have been pretty needy for new members, huh?
(November 19, 2014 at 12:47 pm)robvalue Wrote: You know, it really baffles me. I can't imagine the level of stupidity it would take to persistently claim the world is flat contrary to everything we know.

I have heard before the saying, "If reality contradicts the bible, then it is reality that is wrong." That's about the size of it. They don't want to live in the real world, they want to live in the bible.

The idea of heaven being "above" and hell "below" only makes sense if you think of the Earth as flat, as the primitive people writing the bible obviously did. So they're probably trying to retain that delusion too.

But then again, trying to deny evolution is only slightly less stupid than that.

evolution okay ill give them that to deny no one really wants to accept were apes. were apes i don't care were human. but the level of stupidity to say the world is flat just amazes me. i have went deep sea fishing out in the middle of the ocean not one did the world or the water looked flat there was a slight curve our perception of the world looks flat due to gravity. lets say if the world was flat a person could easily fall off of the world we could easily shoot missiles into hell and heaven and get rid of heaven and hell. but this is reality those places don't exist.

Code:
Hehe yeah. Once you understand, the horizon kind of makes sense as well.

I don't give a monkey that I am descended from monkeys Smile The world would have been much better off if we had stayed as monkeys, they're not likely to blow up the planet and kill all other forms of life anytime soon. I'm not sure why people would think it is a bad thing to be monkeys. I find the fact that I am a biological result of my parents far creepier than ape ancestors.

Conscription for flat Earthers? Hmm... I wonder how long they can keep it up? If they go up into space and look at the round Earth for themselves, would their brains explode?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 19, 2014 at 1:13 pm)robvalue Wrote: Hehe yeah. Once you understand, the horizon kind of makes sense as well.

I don't give a monkey that I am descended from monkeys Smile The world would have been much better off if we had stayed as monkeys, they're not likely to blow up the planet and kill all other forms of life anytime soon. I'm not sure why people would think it is a bad thing to be monkeys. I find the fact that I am a biological result of my parents far creepier than ape ancestors.

Conscription for flat Earthers? Hmm... I wonder how long they can keep it up? If they go up into space and look at the round Earth for themselves, would their brains explode?

once they get in space they would be like this is some type of simulator and when they go out into space they would look around for a bit before taking the helmet off. <- if they are that delusional if not they would be like hey i guess those scientists were right.

Code:
(November 19, 2014 at 11:22 am)dyresand Wrote: why is it that some people are still flat-earthers didn't that kind of die out or people taking the teachings of the bible to literal because we go into space we have photos of earth and none of them showing it is flat well in a since it is flat because those pictures are 2d. but why do people believe in a flat earth?

[Image: demotivational-posters-punctuation.jpg]
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I used to think the flat earth society was something like the cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I simply couldn't believe that there are people out there being so fundamentally stupid and ignorant. Today I know I was wrong, but it still amazes me to no end. It makes creationists look like nerdy science geeks.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2872 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Photo Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 90 6893 January 28, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Only 10% of the Nobel prize winners are atheist ? Now I am a Believer 0 566 January 18, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Now I am a Believer
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6667 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Before We Discuss Whether God Exists, I Have A Question Jenny A 113 14944 March 7, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  Atheist struggling to answer a question i often propose to myself budsa11 88 20226 September 14, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A Question of Dropped Pennies: How Might an Atheist Respond? Rhondazvous 33 9436 July 5, 2017 at 4:30 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3434 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2910 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  atheist math question loganonekenobi 16 3562 April 11, 2016 at 2:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd