Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The New Collider
The New Collider
Ok, maybe I missed the post some where, if I did, my apologies.

I was hoping to see some discussion on the new desk top collider they have in Berkley. If this is true, then the data we receive from it could potentially destroy creation completely (correct?)

I am NOT a scientist but love to see you folks who know a thing or two about this discuss it.

If there is a thread about this, please point me in the right direction
RE: The New Collider
Destroy wha???
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I'm a particle physicist, so if you have a linky ill take a look at it. But spontaneously two things come to mind:

No scientific instrument of that type would destroy creationism any more than the existing ones already do, or any other fundamental science for that matter. That's just not how creationists work - they already have to ignore so much evidence to keep the game up, any new experiment will just add a bit more to the list.

"Table top" colliders may soon reach very large energies with these fancy new plasma based acceleration techniques, but I think their luminosity, i.e. rate of collisions , seems to be terribly low in the forseeable future, such that they will have a hard time competing with conventional designs.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 11, 2014 at 3:38 pm)Alex K Wrote: I'm a particle physicist, so if you have a linky ill take a look at it. But spontaneously two things come to mind:

No scientific instrument of that type would destroy creationism any more than the existing ones already do, or any other fundamental science for that matter. That's just not how creationists work - they already have to ignore so much evidence to keep the game up, any new experiment will just add a bit more to the list.

"Table top" colliders may soon reach very large energies with these fancy new plasma based acceleration techniques, but I think their luminosity, i.e. rate of collisions , seems to be terribly low in the forseeable future, such that they will have a hard time competing with conventional designs.

See, I'm not falling for that!

You evil scientists always deny that these colliders could produce a black hole and destroy the Earth or something like that.

I've seen conspiracy websites! I know they tell the truth about the risks and evils of science!

I'm now off to live in a cave.

Angel
Dying to live, living to die.
Well, ok, destroying creation is one way to defeat creationism I suppose Big Grin

(December 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm)Tonus Wrote: Destroy wha???

You heard the man. We finally need to get these black holes up and running!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(December 11, 2014 at 3:38 pm)Alex K Wrote: I'm a particle physicist, so if you have a linky ill take a look at it. But spontaneously two things come to mind:

YES! I am such a science geek (just not smart enough to fully comprehend) I know that they found the "god particle" at CERN, but the weight at the time left uncertainty (as I understand it) as to weather there is a possibility of other particles.
I was hoping this new collider would be able to smash things up enough to see more particles, thus TOTALLY disproving creationism. I know CERN is upgrading and should be able to do bigger and better collisions with better analysis. When I saw this report I just got excited.
Sounds like I need to wait though.

Anytime you want to talk about particle stuff, Alex, you have a fan here! (yes, i am sucking up)
You mean BELLA, here is the overhyped link and here is a better link.

I've seen this accelarator in person, it's pretty awesome. There is a little hype on the size of BELLA, they say it can fit one room. Well, that one room is the size of my two bedroom appartment.

@ Alex, I don't remember what their luminosity is, but Iit can only accelarate particles upto 10 GeV.
Here's a theory report I found by some competent people - they basically are trying to find possible applications for machines of this Bella type, or higher energy successors to be precise, and they make a point of cooking up new physics scenarions which would profit so much from higher energy that greatly reduced lumi would be compensated. Needless to say, these scenarios are partly outdated with the Higgs discovery, or rather esoteric, like this classicalization business which was a pet theory of Dvali et al which I never quite understood. It's interesting sure, and one should do it, but its not clear whether these machines will discover something (although nor do we know that for any other)

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=be...6516,d.ZWU

@polar bear
If you have any concrete questions ask away, we have all departments covered

How will smashing table tops together prove anything, except that some people have too much time on their hands and others take things far too literally for comic effect?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Why does the weight of the higgs particle matter?