Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Suggestions
Book Suggestions
Hey guys, I need to write a term paper on the role of religion in America and why Atheism has become so hated here. If you guys have any suggestions on what may help me, it would be greatly appreciated!
RE: Book Suggestions
Here's one book that might work: Freethinkers: A history of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 24, 2010 at 8:57 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Here's one book that might work: Freethinkers: A history of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby

Perfect actually, thank you for your kindness.
(February 24, 2010 at 4:52 pm)NoNameBoy Wrote: Hey guys, I need to write a term paper on the role of religion in America and why Atheism has become so hated here. If you guys have any suggestions on what may help me, it would be greatly appreciated!
Yes. This book would be perfect for your term paper, "Revivals, Awakenings, and Reform", written by the late William G. McLoughlin, Professor of History at Brown University. McLoughlin wrote extensively on the impact that revivalism, religion, and awakenings had in developing American culture. I would also suggest other books written by , Lyle Dorsett, Roger Bruns, and Keith J. Hardman. These are all noted historians and biographers. You won't find their material offensive.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Any book on the topic of the Red Scare and anti-intellectualism provides a nice dovetail into your topic.
There is a Henry Beecher biography out there. I couldn't imagine a history of religion in America without him.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1061 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 265 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3207 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Watch Suggestions for TV and Movie Streamers Shell B 50 3594 October 2, 2019 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1121 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 2033 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 387 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 2026 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3678 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, I published my first children's book–Tori the Time Traveler Shell B 38 6097 May 28, 2017 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Shell B