Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age 5 - what the hell is going on?
Age 5 - what the hell is going on?
I didn't know religion existed until I went to school (in 1948) ... and was confronted with some totally weird adults who talked absolute nonsense.(... and it was a state school in the UK!). I've never been anything other than an atheist.
RE: Age 5 - what the hell is going on?
Well, at least you consciously lived through the swinging 60ies.

Welcome.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Welcome!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 13, 2015 at 8:47 am)Newtonscat Wrote: I didn't know religion existed until I went to school (in 1948) ... and was confronted with some totally weird adults who talked absolute nonsense.(... and it was a state school in the UK!). I've never been anything other than an atheist.

I was a balloon for a brief period.

Welcome.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(January 13, 2015 at 9:01 am)ManMachine Wrote:
(January 13, 2015 at 8:47 am)Newtonscat Wrote: I didn't know religion existed until I went to school (in 1948) ... and was confronted with some totally weird adults who talked absolute nonsense.(... and it was a state school in the UK!). I've never been anything other than an atheist.

I was a balloon for a brief period.

Welcome.

MM

Did I pop you?

I would love to have grown up without any religion or having to be afraid that me or my friends would go to hell.
Hey Newton, welcome Smile That sounds very similar to me. I had no religious upbringing, and first encountered it at school, age 5 as well. I could see right away it was totally nuts, like you did. They weren't exactly full on but fairly preachy. I just let them get in with it and did my maths.

How adults continue to believe in it is a constant bafflement to me. You'll hear from some of them soon enough on here Smile

It was in the UK too. Wait, are you me? Did I discover time travel...or will I?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
As a child, I was touched by a brain eating zombie memeplex.
I was ignorant of religion as such until a friend of mine invited me to a Watchtower Society children's meeting. I was probably 10 years old or so. It was staffed by adults but was more of a club for children. I remember very little about it: getting tracts and some sort of points system with rewards for memorizing something (the tracts maybe?)
My reaction, as I remember it, was confusion about the actions of the adults because they somehow knew a whole bunch of stuff that didn't make a lot of sense to me or match my observations of my surroundings.
At the time I had no concept of indoctrination. The one time exposure didn't take. I lumped it in a 'pending confirmation' bin. Before I could confirm or deny the veracity of the data, I moved on to more important topics, like kickball.
I thought it was weird and never went back.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Quote:As a child, I was touched by a brain eating zombie memeplex.
[Image: weird-futurama-brain-slug-man.gif]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Well you're one year older than me. We have a special Old Farts Club. So far, we are the only members.

Guess now we have to work up a secret handshake or something.
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9314 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
Lightbulb I really should get going... tykobrian 19 2273 September 24, 2017 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Hello, Atheists are going to hell :) Shaddam IV 26 4422 November 23, 2015 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Hi I'm 'new' again...apparently I'm going to Hell!!! Angenlina star 27 8596 April 7, 2015 at 6:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Forced into going to church? katiefranco 23 4719 November 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Critical Thinking--When Is It Going To Be Used? Frank Palatnick 2 1574 June 28, 2009 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Frank Palatnick