Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They Keep Coming Back To This Idea...
They Keep Coming Back To This Idea...
Maybe they can get it to work.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/ancie...-ray-tech/

Quote:Ancient Roman scrolls scorched by Vesuvius volcano may be readable thanks to new X-ray tech

At least they don't sit around praying for a miracle.
RE: They Keep Coming Back To This Idea...
Would be great if they managed it. I guess that guy had all the classical authors had to offer. It would be a huge leap for history and culture. Going by the size of his mansion he wasn't short of a dime or two. As far as I know, they've still not excacated the whole structure.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(January 20, 2015 at 5:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe they can get it to work.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/ancie...-ray-tech/

Quote:Ancient Roman scrolls scorched by Vesuvius volcano may be readable thanks to new X-ray tech

At least they don't sit around praying for a miracle.

This reminds me of that 'effort' to examine old wheel-thrown pots to see if any sound recordings survived in the clay.

I think it's called, flogging a dead horse.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
There was a previous discussion of Piso's library here.

https://atheistforums.org/thread-22735-p...#pid566918

As noted from earlier examinations this was not the Herculaneum Public Library.
The antiKythera mechanism finally gave up its secrets, I'd hold out some hope maybe science pulls another plum out of the pudding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keep Looking Down, Israelis Minimalist 7 1878 March 16, 2016 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Ooh - They'll have to push back the beginnings Minimalist 18 3134 October 2, 2014 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Has 'one species' idea been put to bed? Minimalist 12 5164 January 4, 2012 at 2:42 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris