Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Put all religions worldwide on notice.
Now while we are blasphemous certainly we don't have make all communications rants. But however we do it we still need to do it to keep humanity from self destruction.

Take the time when you have time no matter where you live, even if it is just posting on social media, take the time to remind humanity that there are 7 billion humans and no one group is the center of the planet or the universe.

That means don't simply stick to patting each other on the back. Contact local and national media, your elected officials, and even embassies worldwide. Be formal when you need to be, and blasphemous with those when need be. Neither is wrong, but put whom you aim it at in context of situation.

But the time is getting late and the world is too wrapped up with the distraction of religion when we should be tackling pollution and poverty worldwide.

To say one voice does not matter is absurd. It does add up. Don't advocate your own utopias but simply remind the world what Sagan said, that this is the only home all of us have.
Just make up your own religion that is based on anti pollution and anti poverty values. You'll get more interest in it from the less intelligent crowd.
RE: Put all religions worldwide on notice.
The key to saving the world is convincing the Americans that pollution is Unamerican, and the Chinese that pollution is American. And Germany... well, we have our brown coal.

- me, from "mediocre aphorisms for every day"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Arguing with religious zealots reminds me of an old statement:

"Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Sadly I don't hold out much hope of religion dying in my lifetime or my son's. They are corporations, and as such may be very good at surviving.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
They trick their adherents into thinking it's not a business, too.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 23, 2015 at 8:22 am)Spooky Wrote: Arguing with religious zealots reminds me of an old statement:

"Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Sadly I don't hold out much hope of religion dying in my lifetime or my son's. They are corporations, and as such may be very good at surviving.

There is no such thing as a utopia, but to say nothing can be done is also absurd. Humans crawled out of the dark ages, and the atheist voice has exploded since 01. It is not a matter of seeking perfection, but to constantly challenge religion to keep it on a manageable leash.
(January 23, 2015 at 11:44 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 23, 2015 at 8:22 am)Spooky Wrote: Arguing with religious zealots reminds me of an old statement:

There is no such thing as a utopia, but to say nothing can be done is also absurd. Humans crawled out of the dark ages, and the atheist voice has exploded since 01. It is not a matter of seeking perfection, but to constantly challenge religion to keep it on a manageable leash.

I'm not sure how best to do that. If we try to repress it, the religious simply take that as evidence that they are right. If we don't try to repress it, they claim they're being repressed anyways and reach the same conclusion.

Instead of even addressing religion, IMO, we should be working like hell towards universal education -and towards competence in education. Most teachers are hard-working educated folks, but some of them - damn.
(January 23, 2015 at 11:49 am)Davka Wrote:
(January 23, 2015 at 11:44 am)Brian37 Wrote: There is no such thing as a utopia, but to say nothing can be done is also absurd. Humans crawled out of the dark ages, and the atheist voice has exploded since 01. It is not a matter of seeking perfection, but to constantly challenge religion to keep it on a manageable leash.

I'm not sure how best to do that. If we try to repress it, the religious simply take that as evidence that they are right. If we don't try to repress it, they claim they're being repressed anyways and reach the same conclusion.

Instead of even addressing religion, IMO, we should be working like hell towards universal education -and towards competence in education. Most teachers are hard-working educated folks, but some of them - damn.

There is no blanket tactic or perfect solution. But allowing religion a taboo is never an option.
(January 23, 2015 at 7:30 am)Brian37 Wrote: Now while we are blasphemous certainly we don't have make all communications rants. But however we do it we still need to do it to keep humanity from self destruction.

Take the time when you have time no matter where you live, even if it is just posting on social media, take the time to remind humanity that there are 7 billion humans and no one group is the center of the planet or the universe.

That means don't simply stick to patting each other on the back. Contact local and national media, your elected officials, and even embassies worldwide. Be formal when you need to be, and blasphemous with those when need be. Neither is wrong, but put whom you aim it at in context of situation.

But the time is getting late and the world is too wrapped up with the distraction of religion when we should be tackling pollution and poverty worldwide.

To say one voice does not matter is absurd. It does add up. Don't advocate your own utopias but simply remind the world what Sagan said, that this is the only home all of us have.

The problem is that religious people don't take responsibility for the problems their actions (or lack thereof) cause.
Well.... one could work around and pointing out the obvious issues with religion by showing statistical data, hard facts, and even spread sheets. Granted there is people out there who is ignorant enough to pass it off
by using the no true scotts man. What it does come down to is education and well... America isn't the brightest light bulb in the pack. I have pointed out that southern states curriculum and education is far worse than the northern states. I mean people need to get educated then after that its up to them to stay ignorant. It doesn't matter how much education a person gets its all still well rooted into tradition.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1854 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2783 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3487 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11138 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10880 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12866 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 602 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11105 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22911 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares