Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution vs. Jesus
Evolution vs. Jesus
So for a long time, the holy see has declared evolution to be compatible with catholic doctrine, right? Although they reserve the right to have it somehow God guided and with souls etc., certain aspects of the doctrine are severely constrained by that. First and foremost, since the purpose of Jesus depends on original sin and hence on Adam and Eve as first couple, this central piece of dogma is completely at odds with evolution. Does anyone know how they officially reconcile that?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Evolution vs. Jesus
My guess is, as they always take liberties when obvious absurdities or contradictions become apparent, Adam is taken as representative for man's condition as it has existed ever since the first generation of those sufficiently enlightened with a moral conscience, analogous to the responsibility assumed by each person who is capable of ethical reasoning.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I'm willing to bet they just kind of ignore it.
Nah...they're just dumbfucks, as usual.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/ar...s2c1p7.htm

Quote:The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man.264 Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.
So they are trying to convince us that some poor homo erectus shmo ate from the wrong tree somewhere in Ethiopia, and that's why the world is fucked up today?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

I knew it! Assassins Creed got it right, during the Ezio arc, with the first people and the apple...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

"We reserve the right to make judgement calls about what God did and didn't mean to say. We have a secret code book which tells us when he is speaking literally, and when it's metaphorical. However, we can still derive actual historical events from metaphors however we see fit."

Right. No wonder the Catholics dissuade their followers from reading the bible. Evolution pisses all over the original sin story, and that's that. They are just making it up.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 26, 2015 at 4:47 am)robvalue Wrote: Right. No wonder the Catholics dissuade their followers from reading the bible. Evolution pisses all over the original sin story, and that's that. They are just making it up.

They encourage reading the bible, but only the parts they like. Same goes for evolution. Catholics are the all time cherry-picking champions.
There's only one way it can work, a literal reading of scripture. It falls apart outside of that.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(January 26, 2015 at 5:01 am)Godschild Wrote: There's only one way it can work, a literal reading of scripture. It falls apart outside of that.

GC

So can you tell me how the catlicks do it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13206 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard