Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ham upset that Superbowl commercial mentioned evolution
Ham upset that Superbowl commercial mentioned evolution
Quote:I really don’t know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it is because in addition to the fact that the sea changes and the light changes and ships change, it’s because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it we are going back from whence we came.

As far as commercials go, I have to say it was pretty effective. I’d never heard those words before, but they really resonate.

Unless you’re Creationist Ken Ham and you saw this as evolution propaganda. Somehow, in his world, a beautiful harkening to the sea is really a reminder that our lives are just meaningless:

Don’t you just feel this “personal connection?” After all, your ancestor came out of the sea and evolved by natural processes to produce you. Don’t you feel the connection? Don’t you just want to go on one of their cruises so you can stand on the deck of a big cruise ship, look at the sea, and contemplate your accidental beginnings — and perhaps worship the sea, because it gave birth to you!

Oh — and really, you can spend a lot of money on such a cruise, but because you evolved from the sea and are just an evolved animal, and when you die you won’t even know you existed — so you won’t even remember the cruise — so what’s the point anyway? You just evolved to have an ultimately meaningless existence!

We see a connection to the world around us… Ham sees only sin:

So — worship the stars and worship the sea! That’s the increasing state of our culture as it abandons the truth of God’s Word.

Except for the fact that it’s a spiritual issue because of our sin, it’s mind-boggling to think that intelligent people can actually believe life (and the whole universe) came about by accident! Ludicrous!

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...r-bowl-ad/
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Ham upset that Superbowl commercial mentioned evolution
We came from a dirt golem and his rib wife, dammit! we didn't evolve from no sea creature! Despite the fact that we need salt to live, yet our bodies don't produce it. And our fingers and toes are slightly webbed, which would help us swim. And about the only other mammals on the planet that lack as much hair as we do spend much of their time in and around water.

You can throw the word accident around, and tell us that our lives are meaningless if we don't get it from an external source, but that just makes you sound ignorant. Of course we know Ken Ham is purposefully ignorant, so no surprise there.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Ha, ha! I caught that ad! I thought it was pretty cool that a generic advertisement aimed at the general population referenced evolution. I guess Carnival is optimistic about the enlightenment of the average person.

I'm glad the nutters are pissed. Fuck them! Devil
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I don't see any suggestions to "worship" the ocean in that blurb. Is Ken somehow convinced you can't appreciate anything without worshiping it? Sheesh, and he thinks our lives are sad?
Love that all he really had there was appeals to emotions, consequences, and incredulity. As usual, the Hamster has absolutely no cogent position at all.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
[Image: 924f7f423199edb21d534c9de6c26f3e.jpg]
Thanks, Min, now I really am going to be sick...

I see Ham's rejection and strawmanning of evolution as nothing more than projection. Just because he was undoubtedly an accident, it doesn't mean that everything else was as well.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Oh, come on. It's no where near as upsetting as the other one!
As far as the original video is concerned:

It's really effective, a touching speech and beautiful images. I'm just bummed that it is a commercial for a stupid cruise ship, which is about the unnatural thing you can do while on water, and not in Cosmos.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 2, 2015 at 1:23 am)Esquilax Wrote: Love that all he really had there was appeals to emotions, consequences, and incredulity. As usual, the Hamster has absolutely no cogent position at all.

That's all that any of them have. Humans evolving doesn't make him feel special, and neither does the idea that he might live on through his deeds, instead of living on by being immortal. He wants to be a divinely created god slave.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ham vs. Craig Fake Messiah 22 1821 November 27, 2021 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Won't this upset the assholes? Minimalist 9 1139 July 22, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  And Yet, They Work For A Fucktard Like Ham Minimalist 22 3205 July 18, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Ham Must Be Starting His Presidential Bid Minimalist 30 3670 March 4, 2017 at 3:44 pm
  Washington Post Tries To Help Out Creatards and Ken Ham goes ballistic. Minimalist 12 3033 January 1, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Creationist that Ken Ham calls "stupid" drfuzzy 3 1770 May 7, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Ken Ham Explains Dinosaurs Nope 21 5622 June 7, 2015 at 1:58 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Ken Ham - Don't Sweat Asteroids Cuz Minimalist 10 1951 March 15, 2015 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  Ken Ham files lawsuit against Kentucky Esquilax 109 15770 March 8, 2015 at 1:59 pm
  Ken Ham petulantly stamps his feet at reality, internet replies, "this is stupid." Esquilax 92 21222 February 19, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: robvalue