Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newboy
Newboy
Hi there,
I'm new here.
Whilst I'm pretty certain I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember (I'm 67 male) by Googling I've only just found out that more specifically I'm a metaphysical naturalist.

My natural curiosity led me to wonder if there are many atheists out there who do believe in other supernatural elements or are the vast majority of atheists also naturalists?

I started to join the 'Atheism UK forum' but what put me off is their paranoia about having theists post on there. Very strange!

I'm not an aggressive atheist but I will always stand my corner.

Best wishes
SteveG
RE: Newboy
Welcome aboard Steve.
Welcome
(February 5, 2015 at 3:34 pm)SteveG Wrote: I started to join the 'Atheism UK forum' but what put me off is their paranoia about having theists post on there. Very strange!

Indeed, what would you chaps laugh at, in that forum?

Welcome
Hello steve, welcome Smile

I would say generally atheists take the methodological naturalist approach. I have no idea what percentage though.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 5, 2015 at 3:38 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(February 5, 2015 at 3:34 pm)SteveG Wrote: I started to join the 'Atheism UK forum' but what put me off is their paranoia about having theists post on there. Very strange!

Indeed, what would you chaps laugh at, in that forum?

Welcome

I didn't get that far with the forum. I don't see any point in a forum that only welcomes half of the debaters, so I moved swiftly on to this forum.
(February 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm)SteveG Wrote:
(February 5, 2015 at 3:38 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Indeed, what would you chaps laugh at, in that forum?

Welcome

I didn't get that far with the forum. I don't see any point in a forum that only welcomes half of the debaters, so I moved swiftly on to this forum.

Welcome, but I hope you're not disappointed. We get 3/4 of the debaters - us and the half-wits.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
We take the good with the bad around here; it makes things more lively.

Welcome Smile
(February 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm)SteveG Wrote: I didn't get that far with the forum. I don't see any point in a forum that only welcomes half of the debaters, so I moved swiftly on to this forum.

Hmmm, I've been here for a while, yet, found very few that I can call a 'debater'. You will see this fact soon enough.
Welcome, Steve.

I've met a handful of atheists who believe there is some kind of afterlife but most have been entirely naturalistic. I think the logic that leads to one, leads to the other.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein