Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of Atheism
The future of Atheism
It might amuse some of you but despite being an anti-theist, I took the time to aquire both a B.A and M.A in Theology. Why? I wanted to be able to play the game with a better grip of their rules and the minds creating them (Wasn't really a loss for me, I just needed a degree in anything, B.A professional bullshitter even would have got me where I wanted to go).

One point that I always find fascinating personally is how adaptable the ruleset is, and how little impact changes seem to have on theists. There are exceptions, like in the U.K how I've heard the conservative Anglican's are jumping ship with the ordination of Women Bishops and switching to Catholicism but for the most part they carry on ahead like nothing has happened. It's like Orwells' 1984 "We are at war with Xxxx"...And then mid sentence they switch to "we have always been at war with Yyyy".

For as much as church attendance is falling in Europe when the surveys go around most of them still sign off as Christian, they get their brats baptized, they do the big white wedding and ultimately expect their funerals to be done by whatever denomination they're signed up to.

Apathy is growing, but avowed Atheism doesn't appear to be, sure we've got a bigger audience now we have the internet but it doesn't seem to be really having much impact. Sure, Church attendances might be low today but (while I don't have them to hand) there are figures to suggest a large swave of the U.K working classes during the late 19th century didn't either. Kinda springs between revivals and declines, but the number of avowed Atheist thinkers or writers remains more or less the same. Sure you get mostly Atheist states today like Japan (in these sense they don't believe in a personal deity) but if you look back into history they were never especially religious anyway.

I'd like to think one day everyone would wise up and leave the twilight zone, but I'm increasingly doubtful its ever going to happen and a fight no one can ultimately "win". The Theists are going to be round a while yet and while the number of liberal ones might rise the number of Atheists isn't.

What do you think?
RE: The future of Atheism
I find it annoying that you're an anti-theist while you're religious views description says theist.Undecided

I believe religion won't ever disappear. It will just change into something else. Religion trived for so long because it exploits several human weaknesses: mental laziness, confirmation bias, unquestionable loyalty, us vs them mentality, etc... If we remove all the human weaknesses that religion exploits, then religion won't exist.
I think secularism will thrive, and the emotional hold of religion's myths will wane as fundamentalists die out and more liberal theists replace them, and so on. The Internet is doing the dirty on religion big time. I think religion will only continue to hold power by force in the long run. It will otherwise be relegated quite a lot in its validity and effect.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 15, 2015 at 5:18 pm)Metis Wrote: It might amuse some of you but despite being an anti-theist, I took the time to aquire both a B.A and M.A in Theology. Why? I wanted to be able to play the game with a better grip of their rules and the minds creating them (Wasn't really a loss for me, I just needed a degree in anything, B.A professional bullshitter even would have got me where I wanted to go).

One point that I always find fascinating personally is how adaptable the ruleset is, and how little impact changes seem to have on theists. There are exceptions, like in the U.K how I've heard the conservative Anglican's are jumping ship with the ordination of Women Bishops and switching to Catholicism but for the most part they carry on ahead like nothing has happened. It's like Orwells' 1984 "We are at war with Xxxx"...And then mid sentence they switch to "we have always been at war with Yyyy".

For as much as church attendance is falling in Europe when the surveys go around most of them still sign off as Christian, they get their brats baptized, they do the big white wedding and ultimately expect their funerals to be done by whatever denomination they're signed up to.

Apathy is growing, but avowed Atheism doesn't appear to be, sure we've got a bigger audience now we have the internet but it doesn't seem to be really having much impact. Sure, Church attendances might be low today but (while I don't have them to hand) there are figures to suggest a large swave of the U.K working classes during the late 19th century didn't either. Kinda springs between revivals and declines, but the number of avowed Atheist thinkers or writers remains more or less the same. Sure you get mostly Atheist states today like Japan (in these sense they don't believe in a personal deity) but if you look back into history they were never especially religious anyway.

I'd like to think one day everyone would wise up and leave the twilight zone, but I'm increasingly doubtful its ever going to happen and a fight no one can ultimately "win". The Theists are going to be round a while yet and while the number of liberal ones might rise the number of Atheists isn't.

What do you think?

Who cares?! The U.K. is nearly free of Christian influence. You have no idea how much we in the U.S. envy you. Let them have their baptisms, their weddings and their funerals. They're not trying to force their will upon you, they're not sabotaging education and they're not holding back progress. What's the problem?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
You spent 4 years studying theology out of choice and aren't a Theist???
(February 15, 2015 at 7:26 pm)FreeTony Wrote: You spent 4 years studying theology out of choice and aren't a Theist???

Why not?

If the person is actually a metis, the influence of Western Christianity on his life and culture are almost absolute.
We have different standards for what constitutes a good time.
(February 15, 2015 at 5:36 pm)Surgenator Wrote: I find it annoying that you're an anti-theist while you're religious views description says theist.Undecided

You might want to look at the crazy labels some other forum members choose. Reality and what is stated in such a label need have nothing in common.

Also, take a look at his first post:

http://atheistforums.org/thread-31506-po...#pid870995

That explains the label. Frankly, the required label annoyed me when I registered. It is nobody's goddamned business what I believe, and no one has the right to demand that I tell them. I say, when someone demands such things, they have no right to expect the truth. And in the case of online posting, only fools believe everything they read.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Future of atheism?Thinking, If there is no theism, there won't be any atheism either. What I do hope for would be a future with a majority of skeptics and rational/logical thinkers.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(February 15, 2015 at 5:18 pm)Metis Wrote: I'd like to think one day everyone would wise up and leave the twilight zone, but I'm increasingly doubtful its ever going to happen and a fight no one can ultimately "win". The Theists are going to be round a while yet and while the number of liberal ones might rise the number of Atheists isn't.

What do you think?

I have no interest in pushing my nonbelief onto others. I'm happy to act against their encroachments, and will defend our rights happily, but I don't care what you or anyone else believes insofar as it does not affect me. When it gets to that point, I do push back.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2752 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15928 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27137 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religions future in the world... Won2blv 21 3542 June 15, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  A vision of the future and the death of religion Eager Mind 21 5414 January 30, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12487 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12156 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12012 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38101 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack