Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-overlapping magesteria
Non-overlapping magesteria
This term was mentioned in another thread.
Quote:Non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA) is the view advocated by Stephen Jay Gould that science and religion each have "a legitimate magisterium, or domain of teaching authority," and these two domains do not overlap
"the magisterium of science covers the empirical realm: what the Universe is made of (fact) and why does it work in this way (theory). The magisterium of religion extends over questions of ultimate meaning and moral value. These two magisteria do not overlap, nor do they encompass all inquiry (consider, for example, the magisterium of art and the meaning of beauty)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlap...agisterial

It seems to me that "purpose" and "beauty" are within the magisterium of science too. For example, science can measure psychological wellbeing, productivity, emotional reaction, etc.

Take the example of cooking recipes. Science can measure the quality of recipes in various ways. One recipe might be nutritious. Another recipe might have mass appeal...
RE: Non-overlapping magesteria
How about polygraphing religious leaders to see if they are lying while preaching ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I really detest the whole idea of NOMA. A lame attempt to handwave away the ridiculous claims of (specifically) the Bible.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Ah yes, Non-Overlapping Magisteria. If you listen really closely when someone seriously uses that term, you can actually hear the honest part of their brain speaking too, saying "please don't examine my religious beliefs too closely, you'll break them!"
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 17, 2015 at 10:50 am)watchamadoodle Wrote: It seems to me that "purpose" and "beauty" are within the magisterium of science too. For example, science can measure psychological wellbeing, productivity, emotional reaction, etc.

Take the example of cooking recipes. Science can measure the quality of recipes in various ways. One recipe might be nutritious. Another recipe might have mass appeal...

I don't think science is equipped to address æsthetics, or subjective matters like taste. I also don't think science provides "purpose" to anything.

(February 17, 2015 at 10:50 am)watchamadoodle Wrote: This term was mentioned in another thread.
Quote:Non-overlapping magisteria (NOMA) is the view advocated by Stephen Jay Gould that science and religion each have "a legitimate magisterium, or domain of teaching authority," and these two domains do not overlap
"the magisterium of science covers the empirical realm: what the Universe is made of (fact) and why does it work in this way (theory). The magisterium of religion extends over questions of ultimate meaning and moral value. These two magisteria do not overlap, nor do they encompass all inquiry (consider, for example, the magisterium of art and the meaning of beauty)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-overlap...agisterial

It seems to me that "purpose" and "beauty" are within the magisterium of science too. For example, science can measure psychological wellbeing, productivity, emotional reaction, etc.

That's like saying lying and telling truth belong to "non-overlapping magisteria". The acts may belong in different magisteria of behavior and ethics, but the subjects upon which they act are identical sets.

Science would do nothing if it did not step ever deeper into the so called "magisterium" of religion, and religion would have no followers if it didn't assert nonsense about things in the magisterium of science.
Would Gould then say that any claims made by religions that can be tested empirically are just "metaphorical"? Such as..I dunno...the changing of crackers into flesh or the spontaneous reanimation of 3-days-dead tissue?
- Thomas Jefferson
I did think of an example of a NOMA (possibly): Imagine a religion that makes no claims except that our "souls" go to a "paradise" after death. That "paradise" is completely isolated from the natural world except for the flow of dead "souls".

Most religions make claims that can be examined using science, philosophy, archaeology, etc. Even the simplified religion I described above utilizes definitions of "souls" and "paradise" that might be vulnerable.
Well right off the bat the existence of a 'soul' is something that must be proven...and the only tools we have to prove the existence of something are surprise, surprise, the tools of scientific investigation.
- Thomas Jefferson
(February 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Would Gould then say that any claims made by religions that can be tested empirically are just "metaphorical"? Such as..I dunno...the changing of crackers into flesh or the spontaneous reanimation of 3-days-dead tissue?
That's the thing I've noticed about NOMA - it might be a valid view in some cases, but many religious people use it for everything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An intro to my non-materialist view Bunburryist 34 7133 June 3, 2017 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Noma (Non Overlapping Magisteria) Rhondazvous 12 1890 February 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Scientific arguments for eating Organic/non-GMO food? CapnAwesome 15 4149 June 10, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho