Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An intro to my non-materialist view
An intro to my non-materialist view
Rather than try to explain my non-materialist ideas in any logical way (which would require writing a book), I thought it might explain where I’m coming from regarding my non-materialist thinking and give a quick outline of the evolution of my thinking.  DO NOT think you will have a solid understanding of my ideas from this writing.

From the very beginning – although I didn’t realize it at the time – I based my thinking on two assumptions - science works, and my experience is a given.   Perhaps one of the best things that happened to me was that my basic approach and view were developed before I learned anything much about philosophy.   As a result I didn’t get bogged down in what now seems to me to be an intellectual quagmire, where any idea gloms up a thousand other questioning ideas.  “That’s a dog.  How do I know it’s a dog.  What does it mean to know?  Can I really “know” anything?  How do I know that I know, and on and on and on.”

My first realization was in the form of an intuitive realization that if what I experience happens in a material brain (which even at that time I realized couldn’t be in what I experience as my head), then what I had learned to call “the world” (what I call “This Experience”) can’t be a material world.  (I can hear all the philosophical bells going off – representative realism!  Direct realism!  Naïve realism!”  See what I mean about the quagmire?)  Lucky for me I didn’t have any of that in my ears, and was able to think in relative conceptual peace. 

A quick intuitive leap lead me to understand that if Materialist Sense Story is right, then nothing I experience seeing is made of atoms, that there is no light going into what I experience as my eyes, and that the brain my mind and experience are supposed to happen isn’t in what I experience as my head; that I literally can’t locate the brain I’m supposed to think with or the world it would exist in.  This lead to the understanding that physical concepts of particles, light, etc. conceived of as entities existing in a material world were derived from an experience in which they can’t exist – even if the materialist view is correct!  Physical concepts were derived from This Experience.  So "physical concepts of a material world" were derived from an experience that (even according to the material worldview) can't be a material world.

That was followed closely by my understanding that there is no rational way to go from a brain of separate neurons, and neurons of separate impulses, to any experience of any kind.  There still isn’t.  Those ideas, combined with physical science’s explaining away of the basic concept of matter, left a huge doubt in my mind as to the whole materialist worldview.  Piece after piece after piece kept falling away. 

My next realization was that I can’t experience anything that isn’t me – that I don’t “see” color, for example – I literally am the color and the spatial aspect of the experience.  This developed to the realization that the experience I had learned to call “the world”  - all the color, space, sound, sensation, taste – is something I am.  I literally am This Experience.  It’s not a material world.  It’s not something happening in a material brain.  But in some sense it’s me, part of me, an aspect of me – whatever “me” is.  (Perhaps a better way to put it is not that “it’s me,” but rather that there is no part that “isn’t me” – leaving space for, well, I don’t know what.)

It was around this time that my thinking started to take the form of thinking of myself and other “animals” not as “living things,” but rather as “beings” (my neutral pointer for whatever it is I really am).  From that point to this day, I am content to understand that I really don’t know what my nature as a being is. 

One of the most important lessons the Materialist Sense Story taught me was that there had to be an underlying reality of which my experience is merely a “surface.”  (In the Materialist Sense Story the material world is an underlying reality that I can neither experience nor locate.)  Having accepted that there had to be an underlying reality, I realized that it was illogical to just assume that the concept of a material world (which was originally conceived of as a mistaken interpretation of This Experience) had to be the only possible underlying reality.  Fine.  So I don’t know what the reality underlying my experience is.  Fine.  This would make perfect sense when I understood that quantum physics – trying to make sense of physical models as if they describe something happening in a material world – is weird and inconceivable.  Then, in thinking about quantum theory, I understood that what quantum models described was in some sense what is going on in the underlying reality, but which physicists are trying to explain in terms of events in the “spatial” terms of This Experience

Let’s not forget about space.  Understanding that the very concept of “objective space” was derived from an experience which even the Materialist Sense Story says is not an objective world (This Experience), I understood that there is no basis for the very concept of “objective space.”   So space, in any objective sense, is gone too.  At any rate, I've never experienced one.

All through this, in a slow manner, I came to disassociate physical science from the idea of a material world and materialism in general.  I understood that physical science worked.  I realized it was a system derived, not from a material world I can neither experience nor locate, but from This ExperiencePhysical science was not derived from a material world.  I also understood that physical concepts like photon, particle, field, etc. didn’t describe something in a material world (which didn’t exist anyway).  They were mathematical models of how what happens in the underlying reality is manifest in This Experience.    I came to understand that we don’t need the materialist worldview to do physical science.

A final but important realization is that the mistake science has made regarding the brain is in regard to what brains ARE.  Brains – as spatial entities – are not things in a material world.  We can’t find or prove the existence of such a world, nor the brains that would be in them.  And even if we could we have no way to go from such brains to This Experience.  The question isn’t “what is the relationship between material brains and consciousness," because there is no such thing as a material brain.  Rather, the question is what is the relationship between brains as aspects of This Experience and This Experience as a whole – and that that relationship isn’t found in This Experience, but rather in the underlying reality. 

I could go on, but I won’t.  I suppose this might cause more confusion about my ideas than clarity, but there is it.  None of this is intended to be a really coherent explanation of my ideas.  As such, although I’m glad to answer questions that can be answered in a reasonably short response, but I’m not going to get dragged into any nit-picking arguments about this phrase or that phrase. 

To get a sense of a more reasoned-out bit of my thinking, check out my latest post on my Occams Hatchet blog -http://occamshatchet.blogspot.com/
RE: An intro to my non-materialist view
Read
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Stories of people who have suffered loss of brain matter and lived to tell about it shows that there is a very real link between a material brain and a mind. The oft-cited story of Phineas Gage comes to mind.

I think a lot of discussion about minds and brains gets entrenched in merely the language that is used, in other words: arguing semantics. We can, with tools, make an impact on brains and thereby the mind with electrodes; brain surgeons do this before operations to make sure they're not cutting into vital cognitive systems of the brain - not to mention we've mapped a great deal of the brain. How does that fit into the idealist thinking of the subjective experience being something special, as-if apart from physical brains, and that's what it usually falls back to: solipsism and brain-mind duality.

I mean, how can anyone have a Theory of Mind, if they can't even internally agree with that ones subjective experience is real or not?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
The thoughts are material primate brains can create is amazing.

Bunburryist : Do you think the same about chimpanzee and dog brains?  Are their minds nonmaterial also?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Sorry, not buying it.

There is to much evidence that the material world effects our perceived experience. Try taking a "material" psychotropic medication/drug and then evaluate your experience, if you are able. Or deprive your brain of a material like oxygen. Are you still the same??? The you that you believe you are can be changed.

Edit: What are your thoughts on schizophrenia?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm not so sure whether you're not playing some kind of word game doing away with "material" and replace it with a different word. I don't yet understand what difference it actually makes whether you call reality material or not...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

@ the OP

Interesting... you're not only an Immaterialist (a fact of the (im)matter that I find rather immaterial, to be honest Tongue)... but also, according to the "religious views" section of your AF profile you're also not an atheist you're an athiest. So I take it you don't believe in the existence of thighs. Either that or you believe your legs are made of soul-stuff Tongue

Bad spelling is depressing.
(May 29, 2017 at 6:24 am)chimp3 Wrote: The thoughts material primate brains can create is amazing.

Bunburryist : Do you think the same about chimpanzee and dog brains?  Are their minds nonmaterial also?

Had to fix that with some editing.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

There are a few basic concepts with which you will simply never understand my view. It's like you're trying to explain a geometric idea to someone. If they aren't able or willing to understand the basic concepts of point, line, and plane, they simply will not understand what you're talking about. The same with my ideas. The first idea is what I call a "neutral pointer." A neutral pointer is a word or phrase used to refer to, or to point to something without attaching any conceptual baggage. Suppose, for example that there is an animal and some one person says it's a cat, and another that it is not - or perhaps that neither know what it is. They need a neutral term to refer to it, so they can call it "that animal." "That animal" is a neutral pointer. "That Animal" doesn't imply anything at all. It's just a way to refer to that animal that we're talking about. The most important neutral pointer in my thinking is "This Experience." This Experience is a neutral pointer for what the average person calls "the world." It's the colors, sensations, etc., as well as the spatial aspect of that experience. This Experience implies nothing about the nature of This Experience, what it might be made of or contain. It's just a way of saying - as we would to a ten year old - this colorful, spatial-like experience you call "the world" - whatever it is - we're going to give the neutral pointer This Experience. It's like saying, we may think this is a cat, but for right now, let's just call it This Animal. This Experience is a simple concept, but surprisingly, some people have a very hard time not going, "But it's the material world!" It's like they can't point to a cat and say "That animal," they have to say "that cat." If you can't point to something you believe is a cat and say "that animal," there's no point going any further. Okay, let's put the "This Experience" concept on a shelf over here.

Now, let's describe what I call the Materialist Sense Story. Picture this in your mind, but don't think of it as being This Experience. In the end, it might be, but for now just think of "the Material World" as an abstract "mind experiment" world. Picture in your mind that there is a world, and in that world there is a sun, a tree, and a human organism. (We are going to call this world "the Material World.") The sun, the tree, and the organism are made of atoms. (We don't know what atoms really are - because we don't know what quarks and electrons "are," but that will be important later on.) The sun, the tree, and the organism exist in an objective space that is not dependent on any kind of mind, etc. It's just there. Something (we really don't understand) but will call "photons" go from the sun to the tree. Some of the photons are reflected off of the leaves and go to the eyes of the material organism. Nerve impulses propagate along neurons to the material brain. This string of physical processes is what I call the Materialist Sense Story. (It goes for the other senses as well.) Because of the nature of the material world, there is no physical way for a material brain to "project" experiences away from that brain. The material brain, for example cannot either "project" an experience of green to the tree, neither could it "go out and feel that the tree is green" (negating the point of arguing over whether the tree is "really green" or not.) Whatever experiences happen related to that organism must happen in the brain.

So we have three concepts. We have "This Experience" (what the average person learns to call "the world"), we have the concept of an objective "material world," and happening in the Material World we have a number of processes that we are going to collectively call "the Material Sense Story." Let's put these ideas on the shelf as well. It is very important that for right now at least, we keep the This Experience and the Material World at different places in the shelf. In the end, if we find out that This Experience is the Material world, fine. But for now, we're keeping them separate. The whole point is to see whether This Experience REALLY IS the Material World. If they are, fine. If they are not, then we have some work to do to stop further confusion.

Does this make sense so far?
More or less. I still have a problem with your insinuation that what you call the "This Experience" would be called "the material world" by a default materialist. From what you say, it appears to be something else since your definition alludes to experiences.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noma (Non Overlapping Magisteria) Rhondazvous 12 1909 February 13, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Scientific arguments for eating Organic/non-GMO food? CapnAwesome 15 4155 June 10, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Non-overlapping magesteria watchamadoodle 58 14293 February 19, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  NASA - 41 New Transiting Planets in Kepler Field of View Jackalope 11 7923 August 28, 2012 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  A View of the Vocal Cords Rayaan 3 1497 October 22, 2011 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Erinome
  A New View on Gobekli Tepe Minimalist 0 1009 October 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist