Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheikh clings to geocentricity
Sheikh clings to geocentricity
Sheikh Bandar al-Khaibari Saudi cleric rejects that Earth revolves around the sun.

http://youtu.be/4x_YCsxii34

Oh dear, if the translation is correct I think he has a slight misunderstanding of the size of the Earth. A good example of why religion needs to keep its nose out of science.
RE: Sheikh clings to geocentricity
I see classic relativity never made it to the Arabian peninsula... Galileo only lived some 500 years ago, huh?

Why do some people give mics to these idiots?
Well, good for him. Hope he enjoys his fantasy world. Just keep it to yourself ok dude?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I actually felt myself losing braincells watching that.

It reminded me of a scene in "Old Bones of the River", the 1938 Will Hay take on "Sanders of the River". Hay, a schoolmaster, has set up a school at a British colonial fort in Africa to educate the native children. He is being told off by the fort's commander for teaching astronomy (incidentally Hay's real life passion), because the revelation that the Earth rotates West to East is causing confusion among the fort's troops, who are waiting for the parade ground to come to them of a morning. Hay laughs and remarks on how silly that is - after all, their barracks are in the West.

That scene was of course written and played for comedy. What's this guy's excuse for ignorance?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Also a complete misunderstanding that the atmosphere in which the plane flies also rotates along with the earth - if it didn't there would be a constant 1000mph+ wind! What a surprise, basic physics being ignored by Islam! Tongue
Hmm. What's more likely to be true? Stuff going on right now in front of your face, or a book written 2000 years and never updated for accuracy?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Oh, come on Tubby! I was just going to post this! Tongue
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
I loved the part when he postulated stopping a plane in the air. I don't know how many times the guy has flown, at least without the aid of chemicals, but that's not how they work. Aeroplanes only ever stop in midair when they run out of fuel, obviously.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 18, 2015 at 7:01 am)Stimbo Wrote: I loved the part when he postulated stopping a plane in the air. I don't know how many times the guy has flown, at least without the aid of chemicals, but that's not how they work. Aeroplanes only ever stop in midair when they run out of fuel, obviously.

Strangely enough, as a pilot of small aircraft, I have actually stopped in mid air several times! If you have a headwind aloft equal to or greater than your airspeed, you can in fact "fly backwards". In a small plane like a Cessna it is possible to fly at low enough speeds for this to work. Obviously not with a commercial airliner, as you would need wind speeds over 200 mph!