Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucid Dreaming
Lucid Dreaming
I have made a bit of headway in lucid dreaming. The other night I had a dream and once I realized I was dreaming, but before I woke up, I got enough control of the dream to start investigating. Apparently, I was living in a garage apartment. On the floor were two bed rolls and some brown square and rectangular 'things'. My wall has just caved in and I just realized that I had neighbors. I remember thinking for some reason that they were well to do and it did not impact me that they were living in a 'hallway'.

OK, now for the investigation. I decided to check out the brown chunks arranged on the floor and they appeared to be Kit-Kats. Just about then, a couple of my cats started fighting and I fully awoke. I shut the cats down and went back to bed to see if I could recover. Fully awake now, I realized just how many things were out of whack in the dream. Why am I living in a garage with no door. Why are rich people living in a garage hallway with no door. And what in the hell were the Kit-Kats doing on the floor. They were arranged in what I thought might be a pattern or code. I was never able to recover, however.

My point? Even though I knew I was dreaming and was now in full control, everything still seemed normal.

I had a drawing, but I could not figure out how not to fill the whole fucking page with a 150px high pic.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Lucid Dreaming
The thing that fascinates me about lucid dreams is whether "knowing you're dreaming" is just part of the dream.

I've had dreams the other way round, where I ask myself if I am dreaming, and decided I'm definitely not dreaming. No way, this is real, I just know it. Then I wake up. Frightening experience, just goes to show you can never be sure you're not dreaming.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The topic of lucid dreaming is really interesting.

I've had several dreams where I realised I was dreaming and forced myself to wake up. I've never had control in a dream, though. I heard that you can train yourself to lucid dream through recalling your dreams regularly. Is that what you're doing?

I usually don't remember my dreams, save for some foggy details. I can barely recall anything after waking up, but with time I can put the story together. Sometimes it's completely blank though.
Although I can't remember the exact details, I have woken myself up because I have thought in the dream that I must be dreaming. My subconscious apparently doesn't like it when I break down my dreams' fourth wall. How do you remain in the dream once you realize you are dreaming?
(March 3, 2015 at 2:50 am)robvalue Wrote: The thing that fascinates me about lucid dreams is whether "knowing you're dreaming" is just part of the dream.
As everything else seemed normal except for the Kit-Kats, that may be very well true. I wish the cats had not woke me up. I would had a chance to gather more information.

@Nope

The first thing is do not move or open your eyes once you are aware of the dream. I will elaborate later after work. I am on my iPhone and it is not forum/typing friendly.

@Norman Humann

Ditto.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Taking a load of drugs probably helps too.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Did anybody else start reflexively humming Row, Row, Row Your Boat?
I had a lucid dream once. I dreamed I was back in the house I grew up in, but it looked like how it is now that the new people have renovated it. once I realized the disconnect, I reimagined it as it used to be.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Ok so I have some questions...

Is lucid dreaming dangerous? I'm intrigued by the idea, but I've heard horror stories about people who have brought on their own death by lucid dreaming, which obviously scares me away from it.

Also, I don't think I've ever had a lucid dream, so it this something that can't happen by accident?
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(March 3, 2015 at 10:49 am)NuclearJaguar Wrote: Is lucid dreaming dangerous? I'm intrigued by the idea, but I've heard horror stories about people who have brought on their own death by lucid dreaming, which obviously scares me away from it.

Sounds more like you're talking about sleep walking than lucid dreaming - lucid dreaming is when you become aware that you're dreaming while in the throws of the dream. You don't actually get up and walk around or do things while lucid dreaming, unless you're also, simultaneously, a sleep walker.

Quote:Also, I don't think I've ever had a lucid dream, so it this something that can't happen by accident?

I don't know if it can't happen by accident; I think it probably could. I'm not a lucid dreamer but I've had dreams where I've been aware that something is "off" (like being in my parents house but it's too big, or too small, or proportions are wrong, or something; or being in my childhood neighborhood and the streets are wider, the landscapes different, the houses further away or cleaner than in real life, roofs are different, hills are steeper, etc.) which makes me aware that I'm dreaming, but I never really become capable of controlling my actions in the dream, I just continue in the dream with this strange awareness going on in the background. This is markedly different from the times that I realize something was "off" about the dream only after I wake up.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to have lucid dreams? WinterHold 85 5818 May 6, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Anyone else experience physical sensation while dreaming? Astonished 14 2875 January 30, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Astonished