Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Your Kids Make You Feel Old
When Your Kids Make You Feel Old
My two daughters were searching online for a new haircut. My oldest daughter likes more experimental hairstyles and has worn her hair shaved on one side for most of last year. Lately, she has been letting it grow out but wil have to get all her hair cut to the same length to grow out so she can try even more hairstyles.

Anyway, I overheard her tell her younger sister...."Sis, I really like the picture of that hair cut. It looks really old fashioned though."

Her sister: "Yes, it was the way they wore their hair back then"

I am imagining that my daughter must be looking at Victorian ladies' hairstyles and wondering why she would suddenly want something so feminine.

Oldest Daughter "Yeah, it's the way they wore their hair way back in the 80's."

umm....no...just no. I was a teenager in the 1980's.

Do you have any stories about how your kids accidentally made you feel old.

Cranky
RE: When Your Kids Make You Feel Old
(March 12, 2015 at 10:47 am)Nope Wrote: umm....no...just no. I was a teenager in the 1980's.

Do you have any stories about how your kids accidentally made you feel old.

Cranky

I was a twen in the 80ies.

Haven't got any kids, but you know what's making me feel old? I'm still under the illusion of being young, so when I see an elderly person I automatically think of what they must have seen, the war and stuff...

And that's when it hits me. The elderly persons I see today are no longer the persons I saw back in the 80ies. The new old are the members of the beat generation, the peers of the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, the partying kids from the time when I was a child.

That's whenI get that I'm not that far removed from being an elderly person myself.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I was born in '79. I was just a kid in the eighties and as a typical kid I did not pay any attention to what was going on around me. I was pretty much a '90s teenager.

No kids, by the way, but I still end up feeling old when I encounter younger generations in the workplace.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I was talking to my son about marijuana. He is in college...so I knew he had at least tried it. We talked about how much he smokes and stuff like that. Then I asked him if he could roll a fat doobie for his dad

I almost cried when he said "whats a doobie"

You can't be a pot head without a doobie!!!!!!!!
I make myself feel old by droning on about how the music of today is just talentless tosh and how it used to be about actually being able to sing. Or just make really cool stuff like prodigy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
My kids aren't old enough to say things like that, but they make me feel old just by leaving me exhausted all of the time.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yeah, kids these days, am I right?

Angel
(March 12, 2015 at 12:49 pm)Norman Humann Wrote: Yeah, kids these days, am I right?

Angel

I think that you and my oldest daughter are around the same age. You young, whipper snappers. Get off my internet lawn!
(March 12, 2015 at 10:47 am)Nope Wrote: Do you have any stories about how your kids accidentally made you feel old.

Cranky

My kids just come up to me and say I'm old and fat.

The fact they have survived this long is a testament to my willpower.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 12, 2015 at 1:10 pm)Nope Wrote: I think that you and my oldest daughter are around the same age. You young, whipper snappers. Get off my internet lawn!

I've actually been told to get off the lawn once. So I guess I'm a qualified rascal. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday You Magnificent Old Broad!! BrianSoddingBoru4 12 939 January 19, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Merry Christmas you old otter you no one 3 1054 December 7, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 995 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Are parents allowed to stay with little kids if infected with covid 19 ? Megabullshit 30 1806 April 3, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 5398 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Do you feel loved? Cod 46 3070 October 16, 2019 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Cod
  Your damn electric car needs to make noise brewer 29 3566 July 16, 2019 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Something young kids today will never understand Foxaèr 114 12594 June 2, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  How do you honestly feel about younger people complaining about being old? Foxaèr 30 4966 May 6, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  All the cool kids are making questionnaires, so what the actual, am I right? c172 8 1075 April 5, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37