Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question on 'ancient' sculptures.
A question on 'ancient' sculptures.
I remember some mountain plateau that had carved animals sitting there, some of which were not indigenous to the area.

Does anyone know who, what, where, when? I tried googling without success. So, either i am not very good at searching (which is probably the case) or I am remembering this from an alternate reality. (I hate when that happens)
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: A question on 'ancient' sculptures.
Couldn't find what you were talking about, but I did learn there's something called Carved Stone Balls.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
The Nazca Lines?

ETA: never mind, you're looking for sculptures, not figures.

Are you thinking of Gobekli Tepe in Turkey?

This was always my favorite picture-

One of the unsubstantiated claims about this place was that it was the place that Noah settled after the flood, which "explains" the sculptures of the non indigenous animal.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
The only thing that doesn't line up with what you've provided is the mountain plateau setting. But I'm thinking since Gobekli Tepe is on a pretty big hill and roughly translates to "pregnant hill" or "pot belly hill", this could be what you're looking for.

A few more significant tidbits that might refresh your memory- It was built during the hunter/gathering stage, a few of the pillars represent the human form, the pillars are laid out in concentric circles, as new areas were created the older areas were buried with some supposed purpose, and the newer they get the less detailed the sculptures become. That's all I can remember but there's tons to read on them. Oh, and they aren't near finished digging the area.

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
The animals were mostly realistic, as though they were turned to stone. The statues were standalone and not carved into rocks, but rather carved out of rocks. I have Peru stuck in my head, but that may be just because they have other weird stuff there.

The picture in my head is 10 or 15 animals, separated by several yards, sitting on a 'flat mountain top'. I think there may have been an elephant and a camel.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
I'm drawing a blank on this one, too.
Yeah, flat mountain top definitely sounds like South America, but the "realistic" carving part is throwing me off. Art styles are pretty well documented and help mark off eras, and I'm not getting anything. They couldn't have been too ancient, huh?

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
They were ancient enough that there were issues in getting them up there. I cannot find anything though. It must have been a reality shift. I have always found those to be annoying as hell.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ac%C3%A1mbaro_figures ?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which ancient thread of mine should I necro? Foxaèr 11 600 August 25, 2021 at 7:15 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8699 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17272 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan