Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wearing a crucifix
Wearing a crucifix
Why is it that when ever I see someone wearing a crucifix I always seem to be a little disappointed, especially if it's a nice young lady?

For example, when I was in the car waiting for my son to come out of school I saw a lovely young lady walking towards me. As she got closer I saw that she had a large cross hanging around her neck and I immediately thought "Oh dear, what a shame"

It's as if I immediately judged her to somehow be a bit strange and not quite the person I thought she might have been.

Of course I tell myself not to be so silly and in reality I know that she is probably just as nice as she seems but still, that nagging little voice of disappointment still remains.

Does anyone else have this?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Wearing a crucifix
Yes ... but then I suppose they might get a counter-reaction when they see my black, upside down cross Smile

Kyu
Lovely Smile

Mind you, I did get this, 'oh dear' feeling when I saw the silver fish on the back of a car until I got closer and saw that it had legs and the name Darwin inside. Then I cheered right up...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I met a guy at university and we got into an interesting talk about random stuff. He was wearing a cross and I didn't want to bring up the subject of religion because he was really nice and smart. The subject came up eventually though, and he mentioned that religion was all "crap". I asked about his cross and he replied "oh yeah, it's a fashion statement!". Tongue
I have the same "slight disappointment" when I find out someone has relgious leanings, and very similar feelings when I find out someone is a smoker.

No idea why though because neither has anything to do with my day-to-day dealings with them.
I have two crosses- both fashion jewellery. I don't wear them for religious reasons. Would someone wear a trinket fashioned as a gun, to commemorate how someone they lost was killed? I don't think so..........Then again, maybe I shouldn't wear crosses at all seeing as I know how it may be misconstrued........?
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
(November 20, 2008 at 10:35 am)allan175 Wrote: I have the same "slight disappointment" when I find out someone has relgious leanings, and very similar feelings when I find out someone is a smoker.

No idea why though because neither has anything to do with my day-to-day dealings with them.

Very interesting.
(November 20, 2008 at 11:45 am)CoxRox Wrote: I have two crosses- both fashion jewellery. I don't wear them for religious reasons. Would someone wear a trinket fashioned as a gun, to commemorate how someone they lost was killed? I don't think so..........Then again, maybe I shouldn't wear crosses at all seeing as I know how it may be misconstrued........?

Misconstured is the operative word there. On the one hand I would think it silly to refrain from wearing a cross because some atheist have a problem with it without even realizing why. On the other hand other than the fact that the cross has become a fashion symbol with usually no intended meaning behind it, it also has an interesting history.

There are a few words translated as cross, depending upon the language. Hebrew, Greek, or Latin. In the Greek and Latin the word can also be translated as a simple upright pole, but the Hebrew word can only be translated as a pole or tree. So the Bible doesn't teach that Jesus died on a cross, only an upright pole like the Hebrews used.

The Cross didn't become a symbol of Xianity (The X in Xianity comes from the shape of a cross) until Constantine introduced it. The cross is thought to have first been used by the Sumerian deity Tammuz (Dumuzi, a Sumerian King deified post mortem). His initial was the mystic Tau, represented by the "T" shape and the dungy idol mentioned in the Bible that the Israelite women used in false worship, even carving it in the walls of the temple. (Ezekiel 8:1-14)

The Roman cross had a variety of shapes, from a simple pole to a cross shape or X shape. It was a phallic symbol. A representation of the penis worn around the necks of many.
(November 20, 2008 at 5:32 am)Darwinian Wrote: Why is it that when ever I see someone wearing a crucifix I always seem to be a little disappointed, especially if it's a nice young lady?

For example, when I was in the car waiting for my son to come out of school I saw a lovely young lady walking towards me. As she got closer I saw that she had a large cross hanging around her neck and I immediately thought "Oh dear, what a shame"

It's as if I immediately judged her to somehow be a bit strange and not quite the person I thought she might have been.

Of course I tell myself not to be so silly and in reality I know that she is probably just as nice as she seems but still, that nagging little voice of disappointment still remains.

Does anyone else have this?
I find it mildly provocative. It is a statement of faith ( or fashion I admit ). If it is of faith, then that is provocative as far as I am concerned. I don't go round with any visible sign of my atheism.
Other faiths find it provocative, it seems, since some of them go out of their way either to object or to parade their own highly visible protestations of their faith.
Bring back the hippy " flowers in your hair " I say ( but I don't now have enough left to indulge )
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
When I went to the beech, I came across a car with 2 elderly people in side. I saw this cross hanging from the mirror. I couldn't stop looking, whilst getting the feeling of disapointment. Now what made things worse in my mind is that I found myself walking past dozens of people wearing the same thing around their necks. I felt like the only atheist there. So much superstitions and no reason or logic in sight. I then thought to myself "It's just a belief and that it's nothing I should be concerned about". Even though I accept others for their beliefs, I can't hide my feelings about it. Were in the 21st century with technology and knowledge in arms reach and yet people still resort to superstitions. I just couldn't accept it. I was annoyed but I hid it and accepted that alot of people believe this sort of thing and that I should just let them.

I felt allot better when I saw a few people with that atheist symbol around their necks. I guess that was a reminder that I'm not the only one who uses science and reason. I even spotted the evolve fish on the back of cars. So I was happy to see that.

I do fully understand the theist position, I once explored it. I gave it a chance once, it proved to be nonsense but I had always accepted it to be a view. Those crucific crosses sometimes worrys me but only in rare occasions. I'm actually finding more atheists than theists now. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Alot of so called believers don't even know what the cross symbolizes.Daystar your interpretation of what the cross is (a tree or upright pole) is exactly right.I also dont agree that a cross is appropriate wear considering that it was used to kill your so called God or saviour.Most christians are not even aware of the fact that crucifixion was not unique to Christ (who by the way never existed) but that it was the standard form of execution of the Romans.The believers forget that it was not necessarily the cross,but he that died on the cross.

Most christians ascribe mystical powers to the symbol of the cross so for most wearers it serves as a sort of talisman.There are many people who like to leave an open bible in their rooms or around their house to ward off evil.The same goes for hanging crosses all over the house,they serve the same purpose as the open bibles.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deeply Religious Man Crushed By Falling Crucifix, Loses Leg Tino 28 11303 October 28, 2012 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Polaris