Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Origin Religions?
Open Origin Religions?
Quick question for you all:

a.) Judaism was founded when Moses went up Mt. Sinai on his own, and received the 2 stone tablets with the 10 commandments written on them.
b.) Christianity was founded, at best in Jesus' mind, or at worst in Paul's.
c.) Mormonism was founded when Joseph Smith got special glasses to read his magical rock.
d.) Islam was founded when Muhammed singularly received revelation from Allah.

It seems to me that all religions I am aware of were formed by single people, with experiences that only they experienced. Do you know of any religion that was formed by committee, meaning it was open-source, and many people experienced whatever phenomenal thing was being reported?
RE: Open Origin Religions?
I'm thinking FSM and Satanism? Although obviously there was no phenomena.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I would probably look to paganism for your answer. Or some of the nature worshipping ones.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
"I just had a dream where God talked to me and said I'm the leader of everything and to all do what I say forever!"

"OK, sounds legit."
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Hate to be persnickety, but the Mormon church has evolved sufficiently that old Horny Joe would:

A) no longer recognize his church

B) he would be excommunicated for polygamy, and believing in his original versions of all the revelations, and probably 50 other things.

I guess this means LDS is a committee formed religion.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 31, 2015 at 12:17 pm)robvalue Wrote: "I just had a dream where God talked to me and said I'm the leader of everything and to all do what I say forever!"

"OK, sounds legit."

Damn. Where's that like button?

Worship Worship Worship
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Your a and b are by no means certain.  It is uncertain whether or not Moses existed.  We really do not know who started Judaism.  And as your pair of options indicate, we do not know who started Christianity either.  So we cannot be certain that they were started by an individual or not.

Additionally, with the others, like Mormonism, although we know that Joseph Smith started it officially, that does not mean that there were not confederates in on the scam.  Indeed, it seems likely that some of them were, since, supposedly, there were three witnesses who claimed an angel showed them the tablets in a vision:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Witnesses 

And there were supposedly eight more who said that they saw the golden plates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Witnesses

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Mormon_witnesses

Of course, we can speculate about how many of them were in on the scam, and how many of them were duped, but it is difficult to know precisely what the status of everyone was.  In short, we do not know if Mormonism was started by a group or committee, or if the scheme was purely dreamed up by Joseph Smith, who later added confederates who were in on the scheme, though it seems likely that some of the early converts were simply stupid fools who were easily suckered into believing Smith's nonsense.  But it isn't as if the machinations of Smith were open to public scrutiny, so we are left without knowing exactly who dreamed up which bits of Mormonism.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
From what I've heard, Moses is fictional, in fact just a copied character from an earlier religion.

Don't quote me on that though. Unless I'm right.

Index of my best videos
(March 31, 2015 at 12:30 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Your a and b are by no means certain.  It is uncertain whether or not Moses existed.  We really do not know who started Judaism.  And as your pair of options indicate, we do not know who started Christianity either.  So we cannot be certain that they were started by an individual or not.
I was giving some benefit of the doubt by premising my assumption of the singularity of the founding on their own record.
Apparently "god" is shy around crowds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1852 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2781 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3487 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 11138 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3737 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10877 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12866 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 602 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11104 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22909 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares