Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should i tell my family im an atheist ?
Should i tell my family im an atheist ?
This is a dilemna im pretty sure most atheists have faced.

Here is my situation: All of my siblings, as well as my mother, know im an atheist, but my four grandparents and my father dont, and they are the most religious. My grandparents on my father's side, furthermore, are very intolerant and will take it really badly.

Also my father has this fantasy of the perfect son. Wanted me to be like him, which im not in many ways, and he takes it as a sort of failure (even if he'll never admit it.) This is relevant because admitting im an atheist will really hurt him, he's gone to mass every week since he was born.

Why should i tell him ? me being an atheist is something that doesnt regard anyone else but myself. But i feel bad not telling the truth.

As many most probably have gone through the same experience, can i get some advice ?
RE: Should i tell my family im an atheist ?
Here's an opinion. Don't.

Do they deserve to know? No. If they are highly intolerant individuals that already see you as a failed person under their veiled eyes, then they have no right to know about the person you really are. If you also wish not to hurt the feelings of people you care about, then it will not hurt to not tell them. You may find it just easier to let them live in their deluded worlds, whilst the people who won't hate you-for-you can know.

Sometimes there are cans you just don't want to open. If you do, you may lose your father and your ignorant grandparents. In the end, however, it is up to you and how important you feel this is.
T H E • M U L T I V E R S E • T H E O R Y
Agreed with TMT - Those whom you are most comfortable with it already know about it. Unless your relationships are really strong to begin with, keep it low key. It will hinder understanding, but in an uneven relationship, understanding already is hamstrung.
Telling my Irish Catholic father about my atheism changed our relationship for the worst. He was never able to accept it.We were still angry with one another when I died. I have always regretted telling him. Believing I was on the moral high ground didn't help at all.

You asked: My opinion: DON"T. It will accomplish nothing and cause both you and your father a lot of pain.
wait, you died Padraic?

I'm sorry to hear that.
I don't see the point of telling him you're an "atheist", it's just a label and your father surely has prejudices against this particular label. I think your futur actions will speak for you. I guess you don't go to Church anymore so you're already acting like an atheist, what's the point of telling your father then ? He might think you're not religious but still catholic and that's a good middle ground for now.
You should not hide your criticism of his religion but don't label yourself anything.
[Image: pPQu8.png]
Are the people in question wealthy?

If yes, then don't tell them.
If no, then it doesn't matter.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

(April 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm)theblindferrengi Wrote: Are the people in question wealthy?

If yes, then don't tell them.
If no, then it doesn't matter.

If you are wealthy, tell them.

If not, don't.

Money fixes all.
If you are wealthy then you dont have to worry about what others think.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

How much money do they have and are you in the will?
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1828 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2390 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5360 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3151 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  How should an atheist react to discrimination? Der/die AtheistIn 21 2717 March 26, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9063 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92761 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4329 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2811 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7035 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist