Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith vs Belief
Faith vs Belief
I didn't expect to make this thread for a few more weeks yet.  But then on my first googling I came upon this and thought it as good a place to start as any.  My intention is to add more sources every week or two in the service of my over-arching goal which is to drive a wedge between the two words.

Briefly, I want to establish that faith is a receptive stance while belief is a declarative stance.  Faith insists there is meaning whether or not one is capable of articulating it.  Whenever you specify what it is that has meaning, you are expressing a belief.  Many (but not all) Christians carry on as if life, the cosmos and identity are simple things - because they have the holy reference book of meaning called the bible.  True believers are locked in a stance of espousing their truth.  The faithful reserve the right to self correct as needed in their search for the truth.  One stance grabs truth and pins it in a collection box, the other studies and marvels at it wherever it flies.  

Okay, Exhibit One: from a catholic source, Dr. Gregory Popcak who distinguishes faith from belief according to what he calls the psychology of religion.  (I know very little of him or his website but offer what he says on its own merits.)

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithonthec...ifference/

Note I suspect he and I might have different ideas about the best way to exercise one's faith.  He is probably more motivated than I to be sure faith sticks the landing into the appropriate beliefs.  Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that what he would count as the appropriate beliefs turn out to be found in the catechism.  Regardless I like the way he makes the distinction between belief and faith.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUjRiLcIPLs-t1ztXulQF...gee7UVOVO7]
RE: Faith vs Belief
I hate his definition of faith. The term he's really looking for is curiosity. We wonder about our place in the universe.

And his baby analogy is idiotic as well. The baby is looking for its mother because of instinct. I know that he's trying to say that our existential curiosity is also instinctual (in which case he'll need more than an assertion to convince me), but even if it were, there's a huge difference between a baby looking for an absent parent because it's hungry/dirty/lonely in a physical sense than someone striving to gain understanding.

But, yeah. It's pretty clear he chose his definition so he can play the tired, "See? Even atheists go on faith!" idiocy.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(May 23, 2015 at 12:50 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: I hate his definition of faith.  The term he's really looking for is curiosity.  We wonder about our place in the universe.

And his baby analogy is idiotic as well.  The baby is looking for its mother because of instinct.  I know that he's trying to say that our existential curiosity is also instinctual (in which case he'll need more than an assertion to convince me), but even if it were, there's a huge difference between a baby looking for an absent parent because it's hungry/dirty/lonely in a physical sense than someone striving to gain understanding.

But, yeah.  It's pretty clear he chose his definition so he can play the tired, "See?  Even atheists go on faith!" idiocy.

Hey this is only exhibit one.  I thought it fitting that the first crack be delivered from within the church.

I think once we get all the calcified doctrine off of it you'll like faith just fine.  We'll see.
This one comes from Jungian psychologist, William Walker.

http://www.explorefaith.org/steppingstones_Jung.htm

"Faith is not the state of believing but the state of trusting in the source that makes faith possible." 

Remember, the point of this thread is to make the case that "belief" and "faith" are different things.  It is expressly not about any particular claim made by someone who practices a form of religion.  Those would all be beliefs.

But for those of us who describe ourselves as agnostic atheists, 'god' is a bridge we'll cross when one appears.  We're not huddling behind any belief in their non-existence.  We just don't currently have any impetus to believe.  The decision to make no decision requires no justification.  Nonetheless the answer to the question "do you believe in god(s)?" remains no so the atheist label is appropriate.
The problem with "belief in God" is I can't even get as far as knowing what it is I'm supposed to be believing in. No one can give me a definition that would adequately identify it even if I "saw" it. It's just some appeal to a powerful being of some sort, who did certain things, and excuses why there is no evidence. How powerful? Super ultra powerful! Infinitely powerful!

But don't you try and measure it... it's science proof!

Really. So it's powerful then. Not powerful enough to actually get my attention though.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 24, 2015 at 9:04 am)whateverist Wrote: This one comes from Jungian psychologist, William Walker.

http://www.explorefaith.org/steppingstones_Jung.htm

"Faith is not the state of believing but the state of trusting in the source that makes faith possible." 

Holy recursion, Batman! Tongue

For me, personally, to trust in any source of anything, it needs to hold up to scrutiny, so....
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(May 24, 2015 at 9:25 am)robvalue Wrote: The problem with "belief in God" is I can't even get as far as knowing what it is I'm supposed to be believing in. No one can give me a definition that would adequately identify it even if I "saw" it.

Tell it. brother.

(May 24, 2015 at 12:34 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Holy recursion, Batman! Tongue

For me, personally, to trust in any source of anything, it needs to hold up to scrutiny, so....

I'm with you regarding most any particular claim.  So "belief" as ardent wishing goes in the shitter as far as I'm concerned.  For me, what I believe is synonymous with what I think is true .. not what I hope is true.

But I'm not willing to discard "faith" altogether.  At its core I think there is something of value that needn't have any connection to religion.  I do not wish to concede that I am "faithless" even though I am lacking in religious faith as that typically applies.  Nor will I allow that I am "unfaithful" in the sense of even of being "disloyal, treacherous, or insincere".  

I don't think any of us on this site feel hobbled because we lack of an objective basis for morality.  My own sense of right and wrong seems to animate me as strongly as most theists in my experience.  Despite what some theists like to tell us to the contrary, we are not driven by unchecked malevolent urges.  You could argue that subjectivist based morality even has advantages.  Chief among these being the relative ease with which we can (though don't always) embrace tolerance.
It would be amazing if we could somehow give theists a "day of atheism". Nothing weird, just kidnap a load and fuck with their brains or something. Just enough to remove their religious beliefs. Then we could see how many of them try and murder and rape all the people they see. I'd bet that all but any actual properly disturbed psychopaths would be surprised by their lack of action, and indeed urge. Then put their brains back to normal and return them to wherever theists go. A church!

It's like anything, if you're told you can't do it, it has some sort of weird appeal. But as soon as it's fair game, it loses that mystery and it's just dull.

It would be very interesting to force theists to go through their holy book and honestly highlight which parts they follow, moral wise, and which parts they don't. What percentages do you think we'd be looking at? About 5% of the former I reckon.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(May 24, 2015 at 1:30 pm)robvalue Wrote: It's like anything, if you're told you can't do it, it has some sort of weird appeal. But as soon as it's fair game, it loses that mystery and it's just dull.

Just to be clear, you're not talking about marital sex now, right?
Lol! No way Smile

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3873 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3355 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6260 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1252 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1774 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 934 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 11004 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 12294 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4158 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 26127 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda