Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I guess I'm agnostic?
I guess I'm agnostic?
Hello all,

I'm a closeted agnostic.

I grew up in a christian family, that cared about god, but weren't psychotic about it either. I remember when the child abuse scandals came out and my parish's priest didn't condemn the actions, my father (who grew up catholic and literally spent his whole life around the church) left the church and we never really went back. I spent 9 years in a christian school, and by the end, it was borderline fucked up, we were spending way too much time on the bible, and being trained to convert people. It was scary at the end. Luckily I got out, but a lot of people didn't.

Anyway, I'm pretty much alone in my feelings.

Literally every person I know is a christian. I even have a few friends who are muslims. Everyone at work is christian, everyone at school. Would I like to come out to my friends and family? of course. But I've built a strong relationship with them and I don't want to lose them or hurt relationships with them either.

In all honesty, I would probably still be a christian myself if everyone I knew wasn't a complete hypocrite about it. That's what I think ultimately drove me away.

Well that felr great to get off my chest.

I suppose I should say that I do believe in one god. He is the most powerful god of all. His name is Jibbers Crabst and he's a Giant fire breathing lobster who lives behind the rings of Saturn.

With that out of the way:
I'm a guy
25 years old
agnostic
northeast ohio
I love to cook,
lift (start insanity tomorrow),
I hate my job,
I'm a full time student (accounting and finance)
studying hydroelectricity on the side

Also, if there's any single ladies in Northeast Ohio on here, hit me up!

If you need anything else, just ask.

thanks
RE: I guess I'm agnostic?
Hi, and welcome Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Welcome matey from heathen central.
I'd like to see your god on a plate with a side serve of our FSM!
NOM NOM...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Your father sounds like a good man..... better than the catholic assholes we get around here who make excuses for pervert priests.

Welcome.
(May 25, 2015 at 9:47 pm)Welcome! gubeym Wrote: Would I like to come out to my friends and family? of course.  But I've built a strong relationship with them and I don't want to lose them or hurt relationships with them either.

What about them hurting you by being Christian? Do you suppose they worry about that? Same thing.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
You guess you are agnostic?
Don't you know?
You're agnostic regarding your agnosticism?
I'm not so sure about that. Shy

Hi and welcome.
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
(May 26, 2015 at 12:16 am)JuliaL Wrote: You guess you are agnostic?
Don't you know for sure you're agnostic regarding your agnosticism?
I'm not so sure about that. Shy

Hi and welcome.

I like that!

Reminds me of Socrates.
There's only one thing I know, that I don't know anything.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Hi Hi

Christian 'education' is fucked up...but it looks like you got out with your brains intact! Congrats!
Welcome

Another Ohioan? Jeeeeeez.

As long as you're not a Browns/Bengals fan.... Wink
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome to the forums!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello again i guess? SlowCalculations 8 937 May 31, 2019 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Alan V
  My Introduction, I guess NickPercent 18 3516 January 27, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: Antares
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3887 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
Smile Hi, agnostic here :) Erin27 31 3837 April 17, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic. TheHuxleyAgnostic 47 4128 November 12, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Agnostic among Atheists doomed 43 9128 November 8, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Viocjit the agnostic viocjit 29 7291 September 30, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  Ex Christian, relieved to be an agnostic atheist SerenelyBlue 28 4494 September 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Yeah, I'm a Pratchett nut, how'd you guess? GUBU 16 2987 September 13, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  So I guess I'm an Atheist? Shinagami 83 10356 August 30, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet