Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agnostic among Atheists
Agnostic among Atheists
Hello folks, I'm a new member of this forum and no, I'm not an atheist as you already noticed, but why not joing this forum? I might be able to come in contact with like-minded people anyway.

Okay, now let's talk a little about me. My name is not "doomed", but that's how I'd like to call me. Why? It has to do with the day I rejected the so famous Christian God, mostly because I couldn't understand why such a good being would put gay people in hell(yes, I'm queer) and I just felt like I was... Well... Doomed.  Tongue That was a quick phase though and I stopped believing in any deity, but affirming that there's no supreme being doesn't sound so logical to me. That's my personal opinion and it's not something so easily changeable, I'd say. I already listened to many people giving me irrational and rational reasons for a powerful being's existance, but istead of agreeding with them I responded with a nod and a polite smile then just kept my thoughts to myself. I don't see much point in arguing about it. It's much more fun to watch other people arguing.  Big Grin 

Another thing you should know about me: English is not my main language. That's not my native language and mistakes are going to be common in my posts, I'm sorry. I'll do my best when I give answers for your threads, but it might sound weird sometimes.

Oh, and lastly... I loved the inclusion of the pastafarian smilie.  FSM Grin
RE: Agnostic among Atheists
Welcome! Smile

Every atheist is agnostic and every agnostic is atheist, it's just a matter of which label you prefer

And where are you from?
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
Hi Doomed....doomie....doomsies....you! Hi

Here's your welcome cake!!

Have fun~
(July 4, 2015 at 4:41 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: Welcome! Smile

Every atheist is agnostic and every agnostic is atheist, it's just a matter of which label you prefer

And where are you from?

(bold mine)

What? That's not true...

Doomed, "atheist" and "agnostic" aren't mutually exclusive. Most here, me included, refer to themselves as agnostic atheists. I don't believe in any gods anyone has offered up, but I don't claim to have knowledge about whether or not they actually exist.

A/gnostic has to do with knowledge, while a/theism has to do with belief.

Welcome!
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Hiyas

(July 4, 2015 at 4:46 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(July 4, 2015 at 4:41 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: Welcome! Smile

And where are you from?

(bold mine)

What?  That's not true...

Doomed, "atheist" and "agnostic" aren't mutually exclusive.  Most here, me included, refer to themselves as agnostic atheists. I don't believe in any gods anyone has offered up, but I don't claim to have knowledge about whether or not they actually exist.

Welcome!

Every human that exists today and has ever existed has been agnostic and that will remain the case until a God decides to make himself known. So that means every atheist is agnostic - because atheists are humans. As for whether all agnostics are atheists.. well they're definitely not religious.., what do you call someone who isn't religious? Atheist
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
Here, this might help

(July 4, 2015 at 4:49 pm)Saxmoof Wrote:
(July 4, 2015 at 4:46 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: (bold mine)

What?  That's not true...

Doomed, "atheist" and "agnostic" aren't mutually exclusive.  Most here, me included, refer to themselves as agnostic atheists. I don't believe in any gods anyone has offered up, but I don't claim to have knowledge about whether or not they actually exist.

Welcome!

Every human that exists today and has ever existed has been agnostic and that will remain the case until a God decides to make himself known. So that means every atheist is agnostic - because atheists are humans. As for whether all agnostics are atheists.. well they're definitely not religious.., what do you call someone who isn't religious? Atheist

No, that's what we call people who don't believe in a deity or deities... you don't have to be religious to do that.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Let me explain what I actually believe, please? Well, I don't consider myself atheist because I don't believe that it's impossible for any god exist like many atheists claim, but I can't say that I believe they exist because I don't have any proof of that. So, I don't consider myself atheist, but the agnostic label fits me perfectly well.
Like has been said, atheism and agnosticism overlap. You're an atheist if you don't believe in god, and an agnostic one if you don't claim to know god doesn't exist or a gnostic one if you do. The supernatural has nothing to do with it. Atheism is only a response to the god claim, nothing more. A-theism. Non-theism. Non believer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hi, agnostic here :) Erin27 31 3835 April 17, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic. TheHuxleyAgnostic 47 4105 November 12, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Viocjit the agnostic viocjit 29 7289 September 30, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  Ex Christian, relieved to be an agnostic atheist SerenelyBlue 28 4492 September 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  I guess I'm agnostic? gubeym 19 3744 May 27, 2015 at 1:11 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Agnostic leaning towards atheism OGirly 18 5232 March 16, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  From theist to agnostic to atheist to agnostic to freethinker and... old man 70 21254 August 26, 2013 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Sword of Christ
  An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister ReadAndConsider 15 3764 May 23, 2013 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Aractus
Smile Hello, so nice to be among a community of fellow freethinkers dk2852 11 2650 March 31, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Theist? Deist? Agnostic? lacontrabasse 0 1732 December 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: lacontrabasse