Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Triple Crown winner in 37 years!
First Triple Crown winner in 37 years!
Wooho!  
Seriously, American Pharoah won the Belmont today, making him the first triple crown winner in nearly 4 decades.  I never thought I'd see another winner in my lifetime.  And he won by a huge lead as well. AND the rider is the oldest Jockey ever to win the triple crown!  It was an exciting race, for those into that kind of thing.

2015 Belmont Stakes

It's worth watching the last race at least. Smile
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: First Triple Crown winner in 37 years!
Pretty cool race. I went to the Preakness when I was in college. What a shit show. Southern people know how to party!

I lost my friend (who had a habit of getting lost) for three days that weekend. He turned up at a University of Maryland sorority house. So he was fine. Big Grin
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Shannon Johnson gave an interesting word on this event today-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1jLrhB9GY

My personal take on it is that martial law will be declared to keep the Pharaoh in office, negating the need for another election.
I hope we remember to remind you about this idiotic post in 17 months after the election is over. I imagine you'll keep your tinfoil hat on until after the inauguration though.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I love it! When I was a kid there was a short run of Triple Crown winners, so I grew up thinking it was a fairly common thing. Then, to echo Aroura, I began to think I would never see another during my lifetime as year after year failed to produce another. I'm glad the drought has passed.
Pretty impressive race. Here is one that was even more so. I remember watching it live on television when I was twenty.

https://youtu.be/vfCMtaNiMDM
Secretariat at Belmont remains one of the most amazing sporting events I've seen. What a horse!
I'm sure the humans get rich off of this.  Not so sure what the horse gets out of it.
(June 7, 2015 at 12:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm sure the humans get rich off of this.  Not so sure what the horse gets out of it.

Aside from being treated like royalty for the rest of his life and mating with every thoroughbred filly in sight, there's always the possibility that he is intelligent enough an animal to understand at some level, and take pleasure in, the competition itself. 
(June 7, 2015 at 12:59 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(June 7, 2015 at 12:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm sure the humans get rich off of this.  Not so sure what the horse gets out of it.

Aside from being treated like royalty for the rest of his life and mating with every thoroughbred filly in sight, there's always the possibility that he is intelligent enough an animal to understand at some level, and take pleasure in, the competition itself. 
Perhaps he is intelligent enough to despise the competition staged for human benefit, like and would rather be free to chase those fillies that have a good chance surviving in nature rather than having been optimized for human preference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 years on death row Thumpalumpacus 48 1836 March 3, 2024 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Fifty years after the Yom Kippur War LinuxGal 71 4675 October 18, 2023 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Adnan Oktar, TV cult preacher jailed for 8,658 years in Turkey LinuxGal 1 595 November 18, 2022 at 5:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING: Saudi Crown Prince accused of assassination plot against exiled official WinterHold 2 504 August 10, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  black people 450 years a slave?!!? Drich 77 7223 June 13, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: UtilitarianDeist
  BREAKING: Amazon boss's phone 'hacked by Saudi crown prince' WinterHold 47 2956 January 24, 2020 at 11:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  96 Years Ago Minimalist 7 416 November 2, 2018 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russian Woman Reportedly Faces 6 Years in Prison for Insulting Memes about Xtians purplepurpose 1 564 October 16, 2018 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Suge Knight Sentenced to 28 Years in Prison Fake Messiah 3 642 October 9, 2018 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Mom who killed her two year old only gets 40 years Sterben 15 2071 July 21, 2018 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris