Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity
Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity
Christians often claim that coincidences are the result of their god guiding them. If you have to drive around and around a parking lot looking for a space, god might be trying to tell you not to visit that store on that day.

I thought it would be interesting if atheists describe weird coincidences that happened in their life. 

The night we met neither my husband or I wanted to go out. Both of us were pressured by friends to go to a certain nightclub. My husband happened to work with my friend so he and his friends sat at our table. The coincidence of our meeting was just that, a coincidence that happened to work out well for both of us.

Every single time that I make a pot of coffee, my neighbor stops by for a visit. She loves coffee. I could believe that she  has coffee ESP but I think it is more likely that my coffee drinks a lot of coffee and we practically live in each other's homes.

I am working at building a new entertainment center. My husband, sweet guy that he is, set up a portable canopy to shade me as I sanded and then vanished my masterpiece. Unfortunately when the wind blew, my canopy toppled  and knocked over the stain I was  using. I suppose that I could see that as proof that some higher power doesn't like the particular stain that I am using or just wants to screw with the first wood project that I ever made.

It might be interesting to describe some unusual things that happened to you that are just strange coincidences and have no meaning beyond that life is weird sometimes. 
RE: Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity
'Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity'

so....everything? Huh
(June 7, 2015 at 2:46 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: 'Bad/Good Things That Happen Without the Aid of a Deity'

so....everything? Huh

LOL Yes. Everything

This was sort of inspired by Christians who claim that certain unusual things that happen in their life is proof that god exists. Everyone has weird things happen to them.
Oh, this is fun idea, even if it is everything. Smile A place to post those strange things without people trying to attribute them to some higher power. Even "The Universe", lol.

The first time I volunteered as an art teacher, my teachers aid was my grade school gym teacher. That was a nice coincidence. Smile

I got into a near fatal care accident on a Friday the 13th. My first husband (a real douche) was born on a Friday the 13th. Despite having some personal bad luck associated with Friday the 13th's and the general superstition around it, I am still not wary of that day.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I was still a Christian at the time, and my friends and I were en route to a swimming spot a little ways out of town. My friend was an unfortunate stereotype of the bad female driver. After asking her to stop tailgating people and to stop texting while driving, because she was swerving out of our lane,  I prayed that she would drive more responsibly and that all of us would be safe. 
After a while the car's rear right tire popped and we had to stop on the side of the highway and put on the spare. The spare was low on air, but to our fortune and suspicion a nice guy in a truck stopped to lend us some help and ended up leading us to his house nearby, where he filled our spare tire and did not murder and eat us. 
So we decided not to go the rest of the way to the swimming spot because reasons, and headed for home in a much slower and supervised manner. As we went along, I remembered my prayer and considered if our mishap with the tire was an intervention by God. I looked off into the distance through the car window on my side and saw a large white cross. And at the time, I figured that was too coincidental to be anything but God. 
In times since, as I've driven down that same highway, I've often watched that side of the river that carries the cross I saw, and I still see it - along with all dozens of other crosses in remembrance of the dead that line the river. If I could, I would ask my younger self, "could it really not be a coincidence?" 
[Image: Spc9Ev.png]
(June 7, 2015 at 4:24 pm)pocket god Wrote: accidental post.

Was this accidental post a coincidence or was the tentacles of the flying spaghetti monster somehow involved?  FSM Grin
(June 7, 2015 at 4:29 pm)Nope Wrote: Was this accidental post a coincidence or was the tentacles of the flying spaghetti monster somehow involved?  FSM Grin

I did mean to post, but I accidentally posted before I was done typing out what I had to say!
[Image: Spc9Ev.png]
(June 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm)Nope Wrote: Christians often claim that coincidences are the result of their god guiding them. If you have to drive around and around a parking lot looking for a space, god might be trying to tell you not to visit that store on that day.

I thought it would be interesting if atheists describe weird coincidences that happened in their life. 

The night we met neither my husband or I wanted to go out. Both of us were pressured by friends to go to a certain nightclub. My husband happened to work with my friend so he and his friends sat at our table. The coincidence of our meeting was just that, a coincidence that happened to work out well for both of us.

Every single time that I make a pot of coffee, my neighbor stops by for a visit. She loves coffee. I could believe that she  has coffee ESP but I think it is more likely that my coffee drinks a lot of coffee and we practically live in each other's homes.

I am working at building a new entertainment center. My husband, sweet guy that he is, set up a portable canopy to shade me as I sanded and then vanished my masterpiece. Unfortunately when the wind blew, my canopy toppled  and knocked over the stain I was  using. I suppose that I could see that as proof that some higher power doesn't like the particular stain that I am using or just wants to screw with the first wood project that I ever made.

It might be interesting to describe some unusual things that happened to you that are just strange coincidences and have no meaning beyond that life is weird sometimes. 
That post was hilarious with the misused words.  Thanks for the laugh.
“Everything happens for a reason.” One of my favorite idiotic phrases uttered by the religious imbeciles. Murders, rapes, cancer, people starving to death, people with no shot to even live/enjoy a life, etc.

Let me let you in on a secret, god has nothing to do with any of it. Practically, only all of the religious people, believe that stuff happens because it is god’s will. Minimalist’s GOP Rape chart just popped into my head (that he posted not too long ago), and you will see that those people on there, have no problem saying that rape is a gift from god or what have you.

Good stuff happens and bad stuff happens to everyone. Some people have a lot more bad stuff happen, some have a lot more good stuff happen. Not hard to figure out.

Either, shit happens and god watches it all, or either shit happens. The latter makes more sense.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
(June 7, 2015 at 5:19 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm)Nope Wrote: Christians often claim that coincidences are the result of their god guiding them. If you have to drive around and around a parking lot looking for a space, god might be trying to tell you not to visit that store on that day.

That post was hilarious with the misused words.  Thanks for the laugh.

Because I like to learn, please tell me what words that I misused. I promise I won't take any offense.  Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is going to happen when Jesus returns? Fake Messiah 21 2284 March 19, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44103 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1664 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "Good" & "Bad" Christians? Fake Messiah 153 9889 August 27, 2019 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  The unnatural deity Foxaèr 4 781 July 8, 2019 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Bad News For Evangelicals Minimalist 62 6379 November 15, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 58105 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5538 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  12 Unbelievably Bad Marketers in Jerusalem Firefighter01 65 8549 February 1, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Firefighter01
  Virgin Births happen all the time?! Jehanne 11 2725 December 20, 2016 at 5:32 am
Last Post: Angrboda