Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if the bible were rewritten?
What if the bible were rewritten?
Let us take every reference to god from the bible and replace it with Hitler, Stalin, Yakubu Gowon, Mengistu Haile Mariam, Kim Il Sung, Brakeman (Oh, I meant Pol Pot), Idi Amin (and cannot leave the women out) Queen Mary I of England, Isabella of Castile, Ilse Koch or any other name that you would care to insert.

Is not the bible a fitting 'history' for any of these people?

Anyone have some better substitutions?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: What if the bible were rewritten?
Oh, you meant rewritten that way.  I thought you meant like adding Terminators and stuff.  Oh, well.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It has been re-written repeatedly.

By a bunch of shitty editors who still can't make it interesting.
There was an experiment done in Israel a few years ago where episodes from the OT like the fall of Jericho had all the names replaced by those of actual historical personages and places in China.

It was then given to elementary schoolboys who were asked if what "the Jade Emperor" a.k.a OT God did was good or not. The ones being given the original said yes, those who saw the Chinese version said no.

Wish I could remember what it was called, I first encountered it in one of Karen Armstrong's journal articles as a reference. Maybe I still have it on my hard drive
If you find it, link it. I will do the same.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Joe Smith rewrote the Bible, and then announced a revelation direct from God commanding his (Joe's) church to publish it. Over 100 years later, the RLDS (Community of Christ) has published it, LDS has NOT.

And if you think Old Joe fixed anything when he had the chance, think again. His bible is so embarrassingly bad, it becomes apparent why the LDS hasn't published it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Oh, for sure. If Yahweh was a human doing all those things, anyone with any moral fibre would call him evil.

The get out of jail free card is that God "defines" morality. If he does it, it must be moral, even when he's poking his dick right in your eye while you're trying to concentrate.

The NT attempt at God is a lot better, but very far from perfect. At least if you randomly pick stuff from the NT there's a chance of coming across something nice sounding. Pretty impossible with the OT.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The passage about donkey dicks undermines all its credibility. It's obvious the authors were Poes.
OT = optional testament

NT = nicer testament
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 24, 2015 at 1:15 am)robvalue Wrote: Oh, for sure. If Yahweh was a human doing all those things, anyone with any moral fibre would call him evil.

The get out of jail free card is that God "defines" morality. If he does it, it must be moral, even when he's poking his dick right in your eye while you're trying to concentrate.

The NT attempt at God is a lot better, but very far from perfect. At least if you randomly pick stuff from the NT there's a chance of coming across something nice sounding. Pretty impossible with the OT.

I disagree.  Jesus goes on and on about hellfire and damnation.  Killing you is one thing, but torturing you forever is in a whole other league of evil.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1410 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 787 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1711 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Just how stupid were the ancient Israelites? The Valkyrie 115 14641 June 1, 2018 at 5:39 am
Last Post: Joods
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7600 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  If You Were A Theist Catholic_Lady 86 15832 August 29, 2015 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Divinity
  If You Were An Atheist Shuffle 111 23812 August 28, 2015 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  What Would the World b Like if You were God Rhondazvous 45 8570 August 23, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: ForsakenHeretic
Question If you were to create your own religion.. TheMonster 26 8009 July 13, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Ha ha: If you were God what would you do? emilynghiem 11 2676 February 16, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: LastPoet