Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is Jesus?
Who is Jesus?
Hey everyone,

I'm doing a research project and I'm trying to get a sense of who people think Jesus is. Do you think he's fictional? That Christians made him into something he wasn't? A Prophet? God? Would you mind taking an anonymous 2 question survey to give me your thoughts? Thanks!

{snip}

Please read the rules.  No posting of outside links until you've been a member for thirty days and contributed 30 posts.
RE: Who is Jesus?
Did you know you could make a poll directly on your thread? Trouble with opening that connector is I don't know you or what you might have in that url.

But here are my thoughts about Jesus. I've known a few gentlemen by that name, they certainly exist.

As to the Jesus H. Christ of the bible, I have no problem assuming there was someone who was involved in some of the stories attributed to him. Of course I don't think there was anything divine about him. Since I don't believe in any gods, I can't very well make an exception for him. I also think many of 'his' stories just represent attempts to work in stories from other myths.

Perhaps he was even a wise, somewhat enlightened individual. I can grant you lots of leeway without being the slightest bit inclined to start believing any of the touchy feely, supernatural crap.
Glad I got my answer in before the mods caught up to you.
The character as written in the bible I believe is mostly fictional. It may well have some small basis in fact involving one or more individuals around at the time.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hello msavard, welcome to the forum!
How are you doing?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Jesus is a twat. First hand experience Undecided
Hmm, I'd say a fictional character based on mutliple stories of that time period, some of which might've originated from a real person or place but then got blown out of proportion.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(June 24, 2015 at 9:55 pm)msavard Wrote: Hey everyone,

I'm doing a research project and I'm trying to get a sense of who people think Jesus is. Do you think he's fictional? That Christians made him into something he wasn't? A Prophet? God? Would you mind taking an anonymous 2 question survey to give me your thoughts? Thanks!

{snip}

Please read the rules.  No posting of outside links until you've been a member for thirty days and contributed 30 posts.

Ooh, dang, sorry guys, I didn't read the rules before I posted. The link was just to a google form I created but you can't be too careful. Good rule.

Thanks for answering here though, that works just as well. The more answers the better.

Thanks.
He's a right fucking wanker.
As the w'ist noted, you can create polls on the site.

I think that Jesus (the guy who preached and was crucified for it) may well have existed.

I think that Jesus (the guy who was god in disguise and killed himself in order to blame himself for the bad things we do) is fictional. And that Christians did indeed make him (the first Jesus I described) into something he wasn't (the second one).
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13205 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard